Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JTedder Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2004, 07:16 PM
    Unusual Washer Overflow
    OK Im stumped. My washer is overflowing out of the drain pipe. I have snaked (30' worth) down the washer vent and down the sink vent. The unusual bit is it doesn't overflow all of the time. I can run 2 rinses in a row to try and make it overflow and it won't but my wife called today and said it was overflowing. I came home and sure enough it would overflow as soon as I started the rinse again. I snaked again in both vents and run 2 rinse cycles and no overflow?! What gives. Im starting to think it may be a suds problem maybe. Ive read all of the washer overflow threads but didn't find much info that I though sounded like my problem. Any ideas?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 7, 2004, 07:55 PM
    Unusual Washer Overflow
    If I were a betting man I'd bet that you were on a septic tank system.
    Would I win?

Dec 8, 2004, 01:12 PM
    Yep
    You are correct sir. Sorry for leaving that out. I think Im cool on the tank though. All the toliets flush and all of the drains drain. No back up into the tub or shower when the washer drain overflows either. Stumped...
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2004, 12:00 AM
    Washer Overflow
    How high is your stand pipe? What size?

Dec 9, 2004, 04:18 AM
    Stand Pipe length
    It's a 2" dia. thats about 3" above the top of the washer. It only has about 30" before the trap though. then it "Ts" into the main down pipe (where I ran the snake). The fact that I can run 2 rinse cycles back to back without it overflowing if what miffs me. If it was blockage that should cause an overflow I would think.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2004, 07:44 AM
    Washer Overflow
    [The fact that I can run 2 rinse cycles back to back without it overflowing if what miffs me. If it was blockage that should cause an overflow I would think.]
    That tells me that the partial clog is out of the house because it takes a third discharge to back it up.
    [All the toliets flush and all of the drains drain. No back up into the tub or shower when the washer drain overflows loads of discharge to fill it up enough to over flow.]
    In a well designed septic system the discharge from kitchens and laundrys are on a separate line that leads to a grease trap that prevents kitchen debris and laundry grease and fiber from fouling the septic system before sending the liquid on to the tank. If the grease trap needs cleaning, (and they all do from time to time) then the back up wouldn't affect the tub or shower. That would take the mystery out of what's happening. I'm betting on a grease trap that needs cleaning. Do I win again?? Cheers, Tom

Dec 9, 2004, 03:53 PM
    A little more info
    First off: You're awesome for replying to all my posts. Thanks a bunch man.

More info: Let me clarify a bit here. I run 2 rinses (no clothes, no soap) back to back and no overflow. Next day the FIRST load of clothes washed backs up the overflow. I would think a partial clog would drain down over night.
    Plumbing info: Ive got traps at the sink and at the washer drain pipe. None after that. Washer drain->trap->down tube with a vent->90° elbow->2.0Ø pipe to a drop "T" (t with a slight drop)->3.0Ø main line->septic tank. I have a tub, 2 toilets, and 2 sinks upstream from the drop "t" (t is after if you follow my rambling) that I think would back up.

Again thanks for your replys.
    James
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2004, 10:54 AM
    Washer Overflow
    I still wonder abouit where the kitchen and the laundry discharge. Do you have a basement or are you on a slab? If you don't get a backup in the lowest spots in the house then the laundry has to be on a separate line.
    A partial blockage should drain down over night. I wish I were there but since I'm not I'm as mystified as you are. Any more information? Cheers, Tom
    TheDean Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2005, 12:27 AM
    Clogged washer drain pipe
    When we run the washing machine, the drain backs up and water overflows. It only happens during the cycle where it pumps the water out. I snaked the pipe maybe 20 feet. It didn't seem to run into anything or did it have anything on the end of the snake. I used two bottles of professional strength liquid plumber foaming snake. It still is backing up, any suggestions?
    Also (a little more info (I noticed a lot of people don't give enough info at the beginning)) our house is about 50 years old, has a basement (where the washer and drying are), and the drain pipe is 1 1/2" pvc. The drain pipe connects to one of two main drain pipes leading to the ground. Also it shares a main drain with the kitchen sink and dishwasher (which is newly updated.)
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 22, 2005, 04:31 PM
    Tell me more about the washer vent. Are you saying the washer trap discharges into a vertical pipe the has the lower part as the drain and the upper part as the vent? Is that the layout? Cheers, Tom
    TheDean Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2005, 05:29 PM
    Ok, I've done some work and here is the problem. The washer drain pipe is not clogged, the main drain pipe (that goes into the ground) is partian clogged. Three things drain into it: the dishwasher, the kitchen sink, and the washing machine. No problems are had when running dishwasher or sink. I've taken off the blow hole cap (from the main drain) and did a little "snaking". I"m not sure how good of a job I've done, it's just 1/4" thick snake. But now when I run the washing machine it just barely overflows.

You said to let you know more about the drain pipe. Well have you ever seen one of those boxes that hold the hot and cold water lines and the drain line? That is what it is. I guess a stand pipe, just all in one wall unit. And the drain pipe is about a foot or so higher than the washing machine.

Ok, so before when washing a load of laundry I had to turn off the washer 4 times during each pumpout session. I did that so that the drain could "catch up" to the washing machine. After my little bit of effort with the snake, I don't have to turn the washing machine off at all during either pumpout session. But there is a tiny bit of backflow but not enough to overflow the wall unit. Should I rent an electric snake since the main drain pipe is so large? Thanks for taking the time to reply to me and others, are you getting paid for this?

The Dean
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 23, 2005, 06:21 AM
    Partial Blockage
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDean
    Ok, I've done some work and here is the problem. The washer drain pipe is not clogged, the main drain pipe (that goes into the ground) is partian clogged. Three things drain into it: the dishwasher, the kitchen sink, and the washing machine. No problems are had when running dishwasher or sink. I've taken off the blow hole cap (from the main drain) and did a little "snaking". I"m not sure how good of a job I've done, it's just 1/4" thick snake. But now when i run the washing machine it just barely overflows.

You said to let you know more about the drain pipe. Well have you ever seen one of those boxes that hold the hot and cold water lines and the drain line? That is what it is. I guess a stand pipe, just all in one wall unit. And the drain pipe is about a foot or so higher than the washing machine.

Ok, so before when washing a load of laundry I had to turn off the washer 4 times during each pumpout session. I did that so that the drain could "catch up" to the washing machine. After my little bit of effort with the snake, I don't have to turn the washing machine off at all during either pumpout session. But there is a tiny bit of backflow but not enough to overflow the wall unit. Should I rent an electric snake since the main drain pipe is so large? Thanks for taking the time to reply to me and others, are you getting paid for this?

The Dean
    Hey James,
    ( the main drain pipe (that goes into the ground) is partian clogged. Three things drain into it: the dishwasher, the kitchen sink, and the washing machine. No problems are had when running dishwasher or sink. I've taken off the blow hole cap (from the main drain) and did a little "snaking". I"m not sure how good of a job I've done, it's just 1/4" thick snake. But now when I run the washing machine it just barely overflows.)

I can explain that. The washer discharges with much greater force, velocity and volume then the dishwasher or sink. That "blow hole cap" (that's a new none and I love it) is called a clean out cover.
    You need to snake the line with a bigger snake. Rent the equivalent of a Ridgid K-50 for a 2" drain line or a Ridgid K-60 for 3 and 4" lines. Congratulations! You've located your problem and have correctly identified the repair.
    No, I don't get paid on this site or the other two sites where I am a expert.
    I'm retired and this is my hobby. I have 50 years experience to share so that means I can still be productive, and that's important to me. Also it keeps my mind sharp and active. I retired from plumbing in 1988 (61 1/2 years old) but worked part time up till I was 75 in 2002. In all the time I've been a expert you are the first to ask me a personal question. Thanks for your interest. Tom
    turpen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2005, 12:27 PM
    Another unusual overflow
    Hoping you can help.
    Every other cycle my washing machine is overflowing from the tank itself. It is like the shut off valve isn't registering that the tank is full and it just keeps filling... any ideas greatly appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer Overflow Pan? [ 5 Answers ]

My home inspector suggested I put in a metal washer overflow pan in the laundry room. Where do I get this? Do they range in size? How do I know which one to get?? Thanks for any help!

Suds overflow from washer drain [ 5 Answers ]

This may actually be a washing machine problem rather than a pure plumbing problem but I'll float it here anyway. We recently replaced our aging washer and dryer. We are now experiencing overflow of soap suds from the washer starting near the end of the spin cycle. This was not a problem with the...

Washer machine overflow [ 2 Answers ]

Hi ! It appears that the washer machine overflows when the water valve is turned on. The machine itself is not even running when this happens. The water overflow is dirty.We have to leave the water turned off to prevent further flooding. We are not currently living in this house. It is a...

Clothes washer overflow/stoppage [ 5 Answers ]

I ran a load of clothes and my Kenmore (1 yr old) washer overflowed from the standpipe. I had this problem last summer and had two plumbers "fix" the problem until now. Plumber #1 elevated the drain pipe to provide more vertical drop and increased the length of the stand pipe. He also tried to jet...

Washer overflow [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! My washing machine is overflowing from it's drain during the drain/rinse cycle. It also back flows thought the pipe and will partially fill the kitchen sink that is connected to the same drain line. The drain is 2" steel, and the house is about 50 old, a single story concrete slab and...

View more questions Search