Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RICH18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Toilet Water Level
    How do I lower the water level in a toilet? I just bought a condo and the water level is much too high, it has to be lowered. How would I do it without calling a plumber? Can anyone help??
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 22, 2007, 01:07 PM
    No problem Rich,
    All I have to know is what type ballcock you have. Is it a float ball on a rod or a can on a wire? Bye the way the tank water level should be about 1/2" below the top of the white overflow tube. Back to you. Tom
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2007, 10:41 PM
    Are you trying to save water? Lowering the water level is not good. High water level increases momentum on the flush and gives a deep vortex in the flush with a good evacuation. If you are trying to save money on water use a plastic container to fill with water and set in tank to displace water. Some use a 1/2 gallon milk jug.
    liteways Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2010, 06:20 AM
    You can get a dual flush device that allows a small flush if it is number one and a large flush if it is number two. They run about $20 and are easy to install. THe trick to lowering the level is to use the small flush first, and the water doesn't fill up all the way so the level will be lower until the full flush is used. So, if you are having trouble with the level being too high, flush with the small flush first, use the toilet then flush with the large flush to clear the toilet.

Hope that helps.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 15, 2010, 06:24 AM

liteways,
    You're responding to a three year old dead thread. Look in the upper left hand corner for the date. Regards, Tom
    liteways Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2010, 08:01 AM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    True, but the thread comes up on Google searches, and the problem wasn't answered in the posts that I saw. ALso, he could get a handicaped toilet seat that raises the seat a few inches, effectively lowering the water level. High water level.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Bowl Water Level [ 8 Answers ]

My toilet bowl will not fill up. After you flush the toilet you can see the water level in the bowl go down. The toilet is a brand new Kohler. I didn't have a problem with the old toilet but that was an american standard. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thanks for your time.

Toilet bowl water level [ 4 Answers ]

How can the water level in the toilet bowl be lowered?

Toilet Bowl Water Level [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to increase the water level in the toilet bowl?

Toilet bowl water level [ 11 Answers ]

I am not totally unfamiliar with plumbing, but this one has me stumped. I flush the toilet before I go to bed. In the morning the water level in the bowl has dropped a couple of inches. When the toilet is flushed there appears to be an air bubble which comes up, but the toilet flushes almost...

Low water level in toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently installed a new toilet upstairs, and the water level in the basin is constantly too low. When the toilet is flushed, the water disappears very quickly, and then goes back slowly to its original level. The other toilet I've installed in the room next door works fine. Both soil pipes...

View more questions Search