Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ian King 00 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2004, 06:06 PM
    Toilet Cistern Not Filling
    Today a neighbour was having some plumbing work done in his house, he wasn't sure which was his Stop **** so he turned ours off as a process of elimination. Not a problem.

He turns it off and our water stops, turns it back on again and the water works again, surprise, surprise.

A short time later after flushing the toilet I notice that its not filling, I look inside the cistern and the water is just trickling in very slowly. I move the float up and down, give everything a little wobble, that's as far as my plumbing skills go.

Water pressure is fine all around the house, just like it was before.

What's happened here and how can I fix it?

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2004, 07:00 PM
    Similar problem here the other day. Look at the water cross eyed, and you knock some crud loose. It gets caught somewhere and blocks the flow. You need to take the valve apart and clean it. Plan to do the same thing anywhere else the water slows down.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 1, 2004, 10:18 PM
    Toilet Cistern Not Filling
    Labman gave you good advice. Let me cary it a bit further. What happened is your friend disturbed some trash or mineral buildup in your system and the first fixture you used drew it up into the valve. Most ballcocks are the float ball type. Shut the water off at the angle stop and flush the toilet to clear the tank. Now unscrew the three screws on top and lift out the floatball and stem and washer assembly. Place a pan over to prevent splash and turn the water back on. If the stream's still week run a wire down from the top with the pressure still on and try to break the obstruction up. If that don't get it you will have to shut off the water and disconnect the chrome supply tube from the anglestop. Pust the wire through the open ball cock to be sure it's clear and blow through the chrome supply tube. If everythings clear from the supply tube through the ball cock then you will have to shut the house down, take off the angle stop and flush out the branch line. Good luck and don't forget to thank your neighbor. Tom
    Ian King 00 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2004, 06:28 AM
    Thanks for the replies.
    It was a bit of dirt stuck in the nozzle of the ball valve.

:)
    jda Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2005, 09:45 AM
    Cistern built into the wall
    Hi veryone,

What do you do if the toilet cistern is located inside the wall (it's a 'modern' thing) and there is only a small opeing for it on the upper part.

This opening is about 8 inches wide and 5 inches tall. But the flushing command is located right in the middle and I'm a bit afraid to try and disassemble it, as I might not be able to place it back in with so little room.

So the "working window" is of about 2 inches wide and 4 inches tall... I can slip the tips of my fingers holding some narrow object in it...
    The cistern itself seems to be pretty deep: around 20 inches.

Any thoughts?
    Or do I just call in the plumber?

Thanks in advance,
    JDA
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2005, 12:03 PM
    Doesn't seem to me to be a good idea to put a troublesome thing like that inside a wall. What is the wall made of? If it is just drywall, it can be opened up and repaired fairly easy. Also check the other side of the wall for an access panel.

If the wall is tile or something, you may want to risk that a plumber is familiar enough with it, to know a trick to repair it through the small hole.
    jda Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2005, 01:12 PM
    Hi labman,

"Doesn't seem to me to be a good idea to put a troublesome thing like that inside a wall."
    It's not! But then again, I had no saying on that...

The wall is tile, so no luck there. The idea of an acces panel on the other side was a pretty good one I wouldn't have thought of myself, but unfortunately neither did the builder...

Thanks for your thoughts anyway. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help filling the W4 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Hello to all the members here. I am a new member here and would like some information on how to fill the W4. I have recently joined a new employer and am wondering how to go about it. I will be filing as a single individual. I wanted to know if I can claim my retired parent's in India as...

Toilet filling with hot water [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, our toilet has been occasionally filling with hot water instead of cold. This primarily happens when the toilet hasn’t been flushed in a few hours (such as first thing in the morning). As we continue to flush, the water goes from hot to warm to cold, and the flushes stay cold until the...

Slow filling toilet cistern [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, we have a push button toilet which has just started to fill really slowly. Inside, there looks like there's a plastic arm with one end stopping a jet of water and the other end pivoting on the float. The end that stops the jet of water is hissing water out of the top whilst there's just a...

Toilet Cistern-numerous tries to flush [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I have to crank the flush lever several times before my toilet flushes. A neighbour suggested that the "plastic flap valve" inside te siphon needs replcing. Can anyone confirm if this is the probable cause and if so how would I go about doing this? Any help appreciated. :confused:

Air lock in cistern water line? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cistern supplying water to a mountain cabin. The cistern is full of water, but only a trickle comes out of the faucet in the cabin. It's a new installation and is far uphill from the cabin. Can an air lock cause this? How can it be fixed? BTW, there is a pressure tank in the water line...

View more questions Search