Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nursedoe Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Moving Toilet and Supply Lines
    Hello

I began what I thought was a weekend project to update my cramped, ugly 70's bathroom that has peeling vinyl floors and moldy sink on ugly vanity. I ripped out the vanity to find a nightmare of plumbing! It looks like I will need to move all supply lines, cut apart the drain to reposition it in order to install the pedestal sink. This is way more work than I had intended, but I can't put the bathroom back together once the leaking pipes, smelly mold and really crazy plumbing was revealed.

Here is my question. Is it possible for me to just knock down the walls ( the non weight bearing ones) and move the whole wall with the plumbing over two feet? I had planned an expansion in two years so I could have room for a larger bathtub ( mine is only 54 inches long) and had intended to only replace the sink and medicine chest for now but the Home Depot plumbing lady looked at my pictures and said the dry wall has to come out to see where that drain pipe goes, and find the leaks causing the thick calcium buildup and moldy smell.

Since I am already having to move the sink plumbing and replace so much drywall, I thought it would be better to move the toilet now instead of ripping it all out again in two years when I can afford the bathtub.

I live in California in a 50's ranch built on concrete foundation, with septic system. The toilet is on the outside wall. Below is picture of the messy plumbing.

doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Are you on a concrete slab?
    nursedoe Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Dear Doug

Thank you for your reply. Yes I am on a concrete slab. The photo above shows the plumbing as revieled when vanity was removed to make room for a pedestal sink. That plumbing is in a wall framed with what looks like 2x6's. It backs up to a closet/cupboard that butts into my bedroom.

My long term plan was to tear out the closet, gaining about 24 inches or so, move the plumbing back along the same frame of the closet. However, I am not sure what happens if I drill another hole in the concrete slab for the toilet and join it to the septic line. I have just learned that there are "vent" pipes that go up through the roof as well that are connected to the sink drain and toilet drain.

At this point, I am going to remove all the drywall on that wall and replace it with moisture proof green board. So, if it is possible to move it back now, I would love to try.

Thank You,
    Doe
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 28, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Moving the toilet in a slab will become a two weekend project. You can not just add a 90 degree bend after jack hammering out the concrete.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Probably the best thing you could do it try to draw a sketch so we can get an idea of how your piping and walls and fixtures are/were and then a proposed sketch of how they want to be. Indicate if you have exterior walls in your sketch and any load bearing walls.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PEX supply lines - keep from freezing [ 6 Answers ]

I am adding a 1/2 bath to the upstairs of our 170 year old cape and am considering the best route to run my PEX supply lines. Because there have been several additions and alterations to the house over the years, there are oddities in the structure that make it difficult to describe my situation...

Cpvc supply lines - securing before drywall? [ 1 Answers ]

An odd question, I have framed my new laundry/half bath in the basement, all eelctrical ready to go and am ready to extend the plastic water supply lines for the future toilet/vanity. Question though, with this type of supply pipe, is there a need to secure it similar to pictures I have seen of...

Can I run Supply lines in outside wall [ 2 Answers ]

I live in NJ and am remodeling a bath. Can I run my supply lines to the shower in an outside wall? If so any recommendations or hints concerning this?

Toilet Water Supply Problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have just recently finished installing a new toilet in my bathroom (Much thanks to Speedball1) and I have run into a problem connecting the water supply. I have a half inch CPVC coming out of the wall to the shut off valve, on top of the shut off valve is 5/8" compression in CPVC. So far I...

Plumbing: old drain pipe, supply lines, curb [ 3 Answers ]

I've completed the demolition of my old shower, but am puzzled now. I am on a slap foundation. My drain pipe is not centered, and it rises about 2 inches off the slab. It does not appear to have weep holes, and I cannot remove it. Is it necessary to have the weep holes, and does it need to be...

View more questions Search