Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charjoelily Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Leak in on Lounge room ceiling -bathroom above
    Hi everyone!

I have perodic leak from my bathroom onto the ceiling in my lounge room. I had the first leak at christmas 2 yrs ago. When after bathing the children a tiny amount of water came through a tiny hole in the ceiling into the lounge. It did leave a stain on the ceiling along a straight line (which I assumed at the time was the edge of the bath , children had a lot of fun splashing).

There have been no other leaks until today, when the bathroom sink had been full and some water had started to go through the overflow in the sink (no spillage onto the floor in bathroom at all). The leak stopped when the sink plug was taken out . Any ideas where this leak is coming from and what to do. There is a stain on my downstairs celing that must be under the water pipes upstairs/ the plaster is only soft where the latest leak has appeared.

Many thanks in advance
    Sarahx
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 03:28 AM
    The facts do not add up. A full sink has no more chance of leaking than a half full sink except for splashing on the floor. A bathroom sink is called a lavatory. The lav , is it a pedestal or wall mount or is it in a cabinet? Have you looked under the cabinet? A leak in the bathroom typically comes from a splash or a leak behind a toilet or a loose toilet. Check those things, it may be a coincidence. Does the tub faucet leak at the handle/s? How old is the house?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Leak in bathroom ceiling from upstairs shower [ 3 Answers ]

We have a slight leaking problem in the downstairs bathroom ceiling last year and the homeshield contractor came to check it. We were told it was not a plumbing problem and the water coming from the shower upstairs. We did the caulking as suggested and the problem seemed to go away. Recently we...

Leak From Bathroom Ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

Just upgraded my water well which required that we run chlorine through the pipes for disinfection. Same week, ceiling started leaking around fan vent. Leak mysteriously stopped for several days and has now started again, same place. When we turn the water off at the pump, the leak continues. We...

Utility room conversion into a bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

I am considering a conversion of my utility room into a pool side bathroom and flipping the W/D to the opposite wall. Can a washer, toilet, shower, and sink run off the existing sewer and vent pipe? Additionally, my house is built on slab foundation.

Moving Laundry room and adding bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to move my laundry room to an adjacent room and combine it with a (new)full bath. The current laundry plumbing and waste is on an outide wall and the room has a floor drain in center about 6' in. The kitchen plumbing and waste is 10' away on the same outside wall. The waste line...

Ceiling leak [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I know NOTHING about plumbing.. . I live in a 2 story townhome with a washer/dryer on second floor above the dining room. Yesterday, after washing some clothes, I had water running down the light fixture in the dining room. There was also soapy water on the floor under the washing machine. ...

View more questions Search