Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nonasboys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2011, 08:54 AM
    Toilets that are flushing automatically
    What causes a toilet to flush on its own?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2011, 09:29 AM
    A slow leak - when the float gets to a certain level due to the leak the toilet flushes.

It cost me $65 to have a plumber tell me that.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 26, 2011, 09:47 AM
    Check the tank water level, it should be at the mark in the tank or 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. Now look at the flapper, If it has wavy edges on the flat surface, replace it. The linkage between the flapper and the flush lever should have 1/4" play when the tank is filled. Also, check the small tube coming out of the top of the ballcock and make sure it's connect to and draining into the white overflow tube. If the leak is at the base of the tank there are two brass bolts on both sides of the flapper, if the tank is loose, leaking or wobbly, snug up the bolts. If there is dampness at the base of the bowl, pop off the china caps and snug down the closet bolts. I would check all this out before paying 50$ for a service call and 50$ a hour thereafter. More questions? I'm as close as a click. TOM
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2011, 09:49 AM
    - And I wasn't smart enough to post the question and ask Tom!

A word to the wise.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 26, 2011, 09:58 AM
    Hi Judy, Glad to see you.
    Hope your holiday was the greatest. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flushing boiler automatically? [ 0 Answers ]

What is this automatic device called? Does it require any maintenace? Where is the dirty water stored?

Two slow flushing toilets [ 5 Answers ]

About a week ago my upstairs toilet started flushing slowly and acting like it was clogged. It would not completely flush away solids or toilet paper. I plunged on multiple occasions over the past week and have got it to go down, but then will just start acting clogged again sometimes without it...

Toilets not flushing properly [ 2 Answers ]

I have two toilets in my house. The first toilet stopped flushing properly. There's plenty of water pressure, it attepts to flush but doesn't flush all the way. Shortly after the problem started another one appeared, after flushing the water level rises to the point of almost overflowing and still...

One of my toilets not completely flushing [ 7 Answers ]

My upstairs toilet is not flushing the toilet paper or any matter that is floating other than sinking in my toilet. Why all of a sudden is this happening and what can I do about it?

New Toilets Not Flushing [ 2 Answers ]

We recently purchased a 20 year old 2-story house in Las Vegas. 2 of the 3 toilets, I think on the same pipe because they are right above and below each other, were having lots of trouble flushing. We have a homeowner warranty and they sent out a plumber. The plumber replaced the entire toilet...

View more questions Search