Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    esg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Frozen Drain? Grey water backing into tub
    I have a 1961 one story house on a slab foundation. The weather has been below freezing, day and night, for the last two weeks.

I ran the washing machine, and during the drain cycle, noticed air "blooping" in the toilet bowl next to the shower (also in use). After appx one minute, the shower stopped draining. In 15 more seconds, brown water plus "bits" started coming up through the tub drain.

Several questions: 1) Where does my washer drain to? 2) Where does the tub/toilet drain to? 3) Is my drain frozen, and where? 4) How do I fix the problem? Almost all references to frozen pipes have been re: supply pipes, and the few that address drains are with basement or crawl space foundations.

Thanks for your help.
    fshay1 Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Feb 8, 2007, 11:47 AM
    If it was installed correctly, I would guess that the drain is plugged rather then frozen. All of the drains in your house should end up in the main which should be buried lower then the regional frost line. The water that's being PUMPED out of the washer is forcing the water under less pressure back up into the tub drain. I would start by snaking the toilet with a hand snake. If that didn't work I would rent an auger or better still call a plumber! Lol. You may want to check with neighbors to see if they are experiencing any similar problems. Remember I am doing a lot of hypothisizing here and good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2nd Floor, Floor drain backing up with water in restroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a second floor restroom at my workplace and there is a little bit of water backing up and some sewer gas smell. There is rarely anything that goes down that drain but there is a little water in it that I can see. Also it seems that the urinals in the same restroom are draining very slowly....

Can a washer be hooked into my shower/tub water and drain? [ 2 Answers ]

Just wanted to say I've been reading all the advice you guys give out and I have to say I think I'm in good hands... My question is: I have a spare room on the other side of my bathroom that my wife wants me to make into a laundry room.. I can get to all the plumbing like the showerhead and...

Help - Tub is backing up! [ 11 Answers ]

Hi. New to forum, maybe someone can help me. I have noticed that my tub drainage has been slowing down again. Just had cleaned it (using a plastic piece with hooks that got through mail, worked fine) a few weeks ago, but my wife said MY hair was clogging it up again. Had not gotten to it yet......

Brown smelly water backing up in tub... [ 1 Answers ]

This evening when my wife was washing her face in the bathroom sink she noticed that brown smelly water was coming up through the tub drain. This only occurred when she was running the hot water and would slowly drain after the hot water was turned off. Although our tub has always drained slowly...

Grey Water Regs For Hawaii & you.S. Virgin Islands? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm thinking of building a small vacation home in either the US Virgin Islands or the Big Island of Hawaii. Water is scarce in both places and you need to use a rain catchment system. It would seem to make sense to use your grey water rather than dump it into a cesspool or septic tank. It would...

View more questions Search