Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dgpicker Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2011, 12:24 PM
    Tub/shower two handle faucet
    I have a new two handle faucet and new diverter. When you turn on water it comes out of faucet and shower. When you pull the diverter knob up, shower works perfect. When you release diverter, water continues to run out of shower and runs out of faucet at the same time.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 2, 2011, 12:54 PM
    Is it brand new installation ? What's the pressure inside your house ? High high is the shower head from the valves ? Back to you. Milo

Sep 4, 2011, 06:18 PM
    No it is a replacement. It started doing this on the old faucet, so since it was very old, I decided to replace it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 5, 2011, 08:30 AM
    Milo asked the same questions I would have. Let me take it a little farther. Your problem's caused by one of two things.
    1. Too short a shower raiser **OR**
    2. Excessive pressure.
    I opt for door number two.
    Do you have as PRV,(pressure reducing valve)9see image) installed where the water enters your house? F so then your pressure's too high and you must cut back on the PRV. The average house pressure runs about 45PSI with the outside limit at 80PSI. Too much house pressure puts a strain on fittings, joints and faucets. It will also make the shower run when you're filling the tub.
    Check the house pressure and cut bit back if too hgigh. Do you need instructions on how to adjust the PRV? Let me know, Tom
    Attached Images

Sep 5, 2011, 08:51 AM
    Thanks, the shower setup has been this way for 25+ yrs with no problem, so I don't think it would be the height of the riser. There is no prv valve installed, do I need to install one, or is there something else I can do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stanadyne single handle tub&shower faucet repair [ 4 Answers ]

How do you dissassemble and where do you get repair parts. It leaks from behind the knob into the tub and behind, dripping onto lower level concrete (tri-level house).

Something broken inside my tub shower single handle faucet [ 8 Answers ]

This morning I noticed something strange with the faucet in my tub. It is a single handle tub shower faucet made by Moen. Rather then starting with the handle down in the off position and turning anti-clockwise to turn on, I need to turn it clockwise to turn on and anti-clockwise to turn off with...

I have a single handle Delta tub faucet w/o a shower. Diverter engaged.. Disengage? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a single handle Delta tub faucet w/o a shower. The faucet diverter for the non-existent shower has become engaged, the ring at the spout exit. With the pressure diverted to the non-existent shower, how do I get the pressure back to the spout? I've tried messing with the ring but to no...

Is there a water temp adjustment on single handle tub and shower faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Need to know if I can adjust water temp at the faucet. Seems like it doesn't get hot enough and instructions that came with faucet are very poor. Also why does water come out of shower pipe when lever on spout is not lifted, spout not even connected yet.

Diverter stem installation - three handle shower & tub faucet [ 4 Answers ]

The house is well over 25 years of age and I have replaced both hot and cold water valves and tub faucet without removal of bath and shower stall tiles - still look good. Purchased a diverter stem (Galtmaster tub and shower models - 1963 to 65). With the old diverter I would turn clockwise to have...

View more questions Search