Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tlove125 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2011, 09:51 AM
    Replaced valve seats on diverter and stem... water still runs from tub
    Replaced all three stems on tub/shower and replaced seat on diverter valve... water still runs from tub spigot and shower at the same time
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 10:24 AM

Hi Tlove and welcome to the AMHD.

If you have an exact replacement stem and seat then it is possible that what you have going on here is that the newer shower heads are limited to 2.5 gallons per minute nowadays and back when these valves were popular shower heads were running at nearer say 6-8 gallons per minute. In other words, with the restriction at the newer shower heads the water is simply not able to get out of the shower head and you get a resultant back pressure that causes the water to push past the new (and old) diverter/diverter seat. Does that make sense?

For fun, you could remove the shower head and test this hypothesis... ;)

If you try the test and it fails then the only other answer is that the replacement parts are NOT an exact match or the tolerances built into the valve itself always allowed for some water loss to the tub spout when water is diverted to the shower head.

That's my thoughts here.

Back to you...

Mark
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 12:29 PM

Assuming that this is a three handle tub and shower valve.
    Remove the diverter stem, make sure that it is in the open position (shower) and reinstall it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I replaced tub valve stems and now my water pipes rattle. [ 1 Answers ]

I recently replaced my bath tub valve stems... both the hot and cold line. I solved the constant drip but now when I use the tub the pipes thump... It sounds like a jack hammer for a few minutes and then stops.. This problem was not present prior to replacing the valve stems. Does anyone know what...

What causes water to run into tub and showerhead after replacing diverter valve? [ 6 Answers ]

It is a three knob tub/shower. I replaced diverter valve. Now I have water running into tub when I divert water to shower head...

New Diverter Stem For Tub Won't Pop Out When Water Is Shut Off [ 0 Answers ]

My question is simple. I just replaced the diverter stem for my shower and tub. When I push the button in the shower turns on, but when I press down on the handle to turn the shower off the diverter stem does not pop back out like it did with the old one. Why is this? Please help! Thanks!!

Diverter stem will not come out of the valve body [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any shower diverter stem that is not abel to pull out of the valve? I ahave a stem that will not completely divert the water to the shower head without leak below. I tried to pull it out to replace the rubber gasket, but the stem will not come out like the valve stem.

Kohler diverter stem (I think part #30139) won't shut off water to tub [ 6 Answers ]

I have a kohler vavle body and I took off the diverter stem with the intention of replacing it, as I wanted to put universal fit handles on, and the end of the stem was worn down (see pics). This is a three handle system. When I removed the stem, (after unscrewing the nut with a stem wrench)...

View more questions Search