Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nutrigirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2011, 09:10 PM
    Fresh water well pump
    Is it normal for a well pump to kick on every few minuites when you don't have the water running? Go you need to prime the pump is this what causes it to keep kicking on will it burn up the pump?
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2011, 04:28 AM

Hi nut, the quick answer to both your questions is No. Short cycling can be caused by several things. More info will get you a better anwer, what kind of pump, piping, how deep the well and how deep is the pump or foot valve? Bladder tank? Good luck
    nutrigirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2011, 05:32 AM
    Comment on parttime's post

Alll that I do know at this time is the pump is not real deep and it is metal pipe. And only about 2ys old but it kicks on constantly.I will find out more and get the spects.I just remember that my dad bleed our pump every now and then.and I thaught that it was because it was kicking on so often,
    Raysylvon Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Jul 1, 2011, 10:58 AM
    Raysylvon Hi To You,

I will tell most of you the questions put forth are incomplete, not aiming this just at you, but with out details you need to research yourselves or seek professional contractors.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 1, 2011, 04:46 PM

To answer your question directly, no your pump does not need priming. Priming is something you do to get the water to start flowing. After that you do not prime unless something happens to cause the pump to loose its prime. If your pump lost its prime you would not be getting any water.

You said that the pump comes on and off when no water is being used. If your pump is coming on and going off without any water being used it is because you have a leak some where. If the leak were on the house side of the tank you would see it. Therefore, it must be on the well side of the tank. The leak could be in the well pipe or in the pipe between the well and the house.

The water could also be leaking back down the pipe into the well. There are two types of valves that prevent the water from flowing back down the pipe into the well. One is called a foot valve. It is at the bottom of the pipe in the well. The other is called a check valve. It is installed on the pipe from the well, usually some where close to the tank.

If you pump comes on and goes off when water is being used its another problem.

Pumps can be submersible (that means its at the bottom of the well) or it can be a surface pump. If it is a surface pump you will see it some where. Usually near the tank. The first thing we need to know is where the pump is. If you don't see a pump near the tank it must be at the bottom of the well.

So do you see a pump any where and can you post a picture of your tank and the piping to it.
    rjh2o Posts: 58, Reputation: 13

Jul 2, 2011, 04:44 AM
    You have a bad check valve causing the water to drop back down the drop pipe and causing the pump to turn on and off constantly. Only submersible pumps have a FOOT valve. Jet pumps have an in-line check valve located between the well head and the pump to keep pressure built up in the system. I suggest you replace the check valve.
    These other suggestions will not cause your current problem but may be contributing to the problem.
    The other reasons causing it to run constantly are low air pressure in bladder tank. Your Dads system probably had an old style galvanized tank (without a bladder) these had to be drained yearly and air added to keep the tank at the proper air charge.
    The pressure switch may be bad also.
    RJ
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2011, 08:23 AM

Nutgirl, don't discount the possibility that you could have a leak in the house. A leaking flapper valve in a toilet, for instance. The air in the bladder/pressur tank is not your problem in this case.

If you have a cutoff valve on the pipe leading to the house, then turn that off. If the problem stops, then your problem is in the house.

If not, then it's a well problem. HOPEFULLY it's an above ground checkvale. Easy to replace. If not, then more likely the footvalve is the problem.

How many pipes go into your well, one or two?

BTW, HK had a very good, complete answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What kind of fresh water fish do you like? [ 25 Answers ]

I am wanting to rearrange my tank, I have a 30 gallon tank with guppy's and platys. I was only using them to cycle my tank (Everyone kept asking why I had a tank with no fish so I threw some in :p) But now I am attached and am wondering what I can add? I recently added a 5 inch algea eater and he...

Fresh Water Lakes in US [ 4 Answers ]

What are the only two fresh water lakes completely within the United States that are larger than Lake Okeechobee. And where are they located?

Fresh water Angelfish [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if my 47 gallon tall, 18 inch long fish tank was too small to house 3 pretty large Angelfish, 1 small Ram, and 1 baby shark with Red fins? HELP. If so what should I do? I don't want to go out and buy another fish tank.

Describe a fresh water or salt water life zone within or adjacent to the rain forest [ 2 Answers ]

Describe a fresh water or salt water life zone in the rain forest

View more questions Search