Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsch0232 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Septic Tank smell
    I have a 15 year old house with a concrete septic tank under my house. This past fall, it kept smelling really bad when we washed clothes. The smell would permeate the house, and seemed to come from the washer and the bathrooms.

Last month, I had the septic tank pumped. I guess it was pretty full, so I thought the problem would end.

Every time I wash more than one load of clothes in a day, the smell is back. However, it only seems to come from the laundry room now. It does tend to get through the whole house, though. The smell almost seems to be worse than before, and it is really making me nauseous, but I have to wash clothes! :) Please help!!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Have the septic tank checked again. If it's full then have it pumpede and have the drain field checked to see if it's working. Good luck, Tom
    tsch0232 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Have the septic tank checked again. If it's full then have it pumpede and have the drain field checked to see if it's working. good luck, Tom
    So, it might still be full? I just had it pumped not even a month ago. What's a drain field? Would that be hard to find if the spetic tank was really hard to find to begin with?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2007, 03:32 PM
    The tank really is "always" full, the tank will hold my guess in the 1000 to 15000 gallons of water, which is about a week usage for a standard family of four, so one week after having it pumped the tank is again full of water.

It is the sluge in the bottom that is being pumped out,

What happens is the water with the waste goes into the tank, there is pipes going out from the tank into the yard, as the tank fills, the waste stays in the tank and the water goes out into the drain field to be absorbed into the ground.

Most of the older drain fields were pipe with holes in them with gravel under and around the pipe. But over years roots grow into the pipe and block it up. If you have never replaced these in 15 years there is a good chance they are clogged up with roots.

I will also note that the drain lines are very expensive to replace.

Also if the septic is getting too old, there is a baffle from the tank to the drain field, if the baffle has broken down ( and they do in the old concrete tanks) then the waste (sluge) gets into the drain field and will also cause the system not to work.

In most counties, at least in the ones I have lived, there is a county office where all septic and waste fields are filed, they may know and have the layout of your tank and drain fields.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nobody can find the septic tank [ 8 Answers ]

We want to pump out the septic tank, but no one can find it. Previous owner doesn't know where it is, and the health department has no record because the house is so old. We've had various plumbers and septic people out to the house, most of which probed the ground with a stick. One guy snaked...

How often should you have your septic tank cleaned out? [ 20 Answers ]

Just wondering how often you should have septic pumped? I have 2 full baths, dishwasher, Clothes Washer, 2 utility sinks, etc... My wife and I are the only onesliving here. Thanks in advance for the help.

Septic Tank [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a house 2 years ago that was approximately 2 years old. It has a septic tank. Lately I've been smelling an odor in my master bathroom (stronger in the morning) and now I'm starting to smell it in my master bedroom. The master bedroom and bath are on the opposite side of the house from...

Where is my septic tank? [ 12 Answers ]

Closing on my 1st house soon and I want to find out the condition of the tank.. unfortunately the seller is just flipping the house so he doesn't know.. generally how far and how deep are septic tanks.. I see a very big cast iron pipe in the basement leading out.are the tanks always in a straight...

Shallow Septic Tank [ 1 Answers ]

Hi again, Because of the height of the water table, my new septic tank will be very shallow. The top will be at about ground level, and the entry to the tank will be 7 inches below grade. I'm worried about running a drain to it at the right pitch. The house is on a slab, with the existing...

View more questions Search