Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gordgeous57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2011, 10:33 AM
    How to reroute existing sink drain line to stack in kitchen?
    At present the kitchen sink, drain pipe runs through the centre of the existing lower cupboards to the stack ( our home was built in 1915, therefore the stack is original) we are replacing these lower cupboards, and would like to know how to reroute the drain to the stack without having to run them through the middle of the new cupboards?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Apr 26, 2011, 12:15 PM
    Do you have any space below the kitchen, such as a basement or crawl space, such that you can route the drain straight down from the sink, then tie into the stack down below?

Unless you're talking about the vent stack which goes out the roof? In that case, I know one option for things like kitchen islands is to vent the drain pipe directly into the cupboard space below the sink. You have to install a special check valve which allows air to be sucked into the vent as a vacuum break when water is flowing, but doesn't allow sewer gases to flow back out when the water stops.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 26, 2011, 12:19 PM
    Best is going straight down and below the floor and joining the stack in the basement.
    Or opening the wall and cutting 1 1/2" holes in the studs, something you want to avoid in a bearing wall.
    Or.. you could run under the 4" kickbase of the new cabinets, as long as you have the slope needed, and realize that it's going to be inaccessible.
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Apr 26, 2011, 12:50 PM
    Comment on jcaron2's post
    Weird... I edited this answer in the old skin after I realized the OP meant the sewer stack. The edit shows up in the old skin, but not the new "Go" skin.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 26, 2011, 05:48 PM

If no access under the floor, and no fixtures dump into the stack above where the kitchen sink ties in, then I would suggest opening the wall and drilling the studs with a 2 9/16 bit at a 1/4 inch per foot slope. Even on a load bearing outside 3 1/2 wall, this is acceptable in almost all areas as the outside sheeting reinforces the wall anyway. We do it here all the time, and I know other plumbers in all different areas that do also. This would be your best option. Just remember to use stud gaurds to protect the pipe from screws when the sheetrock is put back up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relocating Sink Drain/Vent to Dedicated Stack Serving Kitchen Sink & Dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

I am relocating an upstairs vanity sink from one wall to another (also going from single to double bowl). Rather than relocate the drain and vent pipe, I am hoping that I can tie into a 1-1/2" copper vent pipe that is located right behind the vanities intended location. The copper vent pipe is from...

Arranging sink vent stack line [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a specific way to, or not to, arrange or plumb the sink drain lines? Using basic fittings and short nipples I have the one line going through the wall from the trap then a left turn to a horizontal, another left vertical (down), a right horizontal for a couple feet, another left into a tee...

Kitchen Sink Drain Line [ 8 Answers ]

The sink drains down into a P-Trap and then enters a 1 1/2 inch PVC horizontal drain line that runs into the wall. Due to some blockage issues in the immediate area under the sink I'd like to run that horizontal drain line 3 feet before turning downward. Would this be workable? Also, if this...

Installing a toilet, sink and tub in attic using existing stack [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am installing a toilet, sink and tub into my attic space that I am finishing. My question is: how can I tie into the existing 4" stack without affecting the fixtures below. Presently the stack acts as a vent for the lower story fixtures. Will I need to re-vent the lower fixtures in...

Need to reroute sink drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Thanks in advance for any help on this - these forums are really a blessing. My kitchen sink is backed up somewhere between the sink and the drain leaving the house. A nearby sink, toilet, and shower all drain fine. A plumber came out today and tried for a couple hours, with two different...

View more questions Search