Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julieb1rd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2011, 07:24 AM
    Sulfur smell in cold water?
    I have a strong sulfur smell in my cold water. I live in the Orlando area, am on city water, had my whole house re-plumbed to pex pipe several years ago. I have a water softener that I turned off thinking it was the cause. I have drained my water heater and flushed the lines in the whole house several times. This helps for a week or so but the smell comes back. I have checked with several neighbors and no one has experienced this problem. Any ideas of what is wrong and how to fix it?
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2011, 09:02 AM

Julieb, you turned off the water softener, did you put it on by-pass?

Did you flush your water heater or just drain it? (should flush)

Are you finding debris in your faucet aerators?
    rjh2o Posts: 58, Reputation: 13

Mar 20, 2011, 09:55 AM
    Make sure softener is bypassed when checking cold water for smell. If you have a sediment pre-filter, bypass the softener, remove sediment filter, fill housing with 5% household bleach, run water at furthest cold water faucet until bleach smell, shut off, open all cold water faucets until you smell bleach. Let this sit for several hours, then flush all lines of bleach until clear. DO NOT use any water during this time. Also the anode rod in water heater may be eroding. This will cause a sulfur type smell. Do not drain water heater. Flush from bottom of tank (with water on) and run for several minutes to floor drain. If anode rod is dissolving this will flush some of the debris out. You may need to do this several times. If smell is coming from softener you can add a small amount of bleach to salt tank to sanitize system. DO NOT add bleach to salt tank if you use salts with any additives IE: Red Out, System Saver, etc.
    RJ
    rjh2o Posts: 58, Reputation: 13

Mar 20, 2011, 10:05 AM
    Julie, Most water supplies have sulfates present in the water. If bacteria is introduced into the plumbing system it can attack the sulfates and sulfate reducing bacteria can occur. This will give a strong sulfur /rotten egg smell. The water softener/plumbing system are the perfect place for this to occur and can be more prevalent in water heater. Bacteria can be introduced into plumbing system by simply handling your kitchen faucet and many other means. Chlorinating the home will quite frequently alleviate this problem.
    I hope this helps,
    RJ

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sulfur smell in cold water [ 4 Answers ]

We have a sulfur rotten egg smell coming from the cold water faucet only and only in one bathroom. We have city water. We removed the faucet, check the drain, no smell. But the water emptied from the flex hose warm side no smell at all. Cold side, smells like rotten eggs. Still am not sure where...

How do I bypass my water softener? Sulfur smell [ 4 Answers ]

I was told to turn the 2 top knobs on the softener and I see where it says bypass but I can not get them to budge. Is there a trick or tool I need to turn these valves? I want to bleach my lines to help with the strong sulfur smell. I have noted that the smell is mostly from the hot water and did...

Plumber I have a sulfur smell coming from my cold water faucet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sulfer smell coming out of my cold water pipe. I have a total 5 bathroom sinks, 1 jaquezz 2 showers, 3 toilets. None of them have this smell except this 1 cold water faucet in the master bathroom. When you run the water for awhile the smell goes away. What can be causing this and is it...

How to properly treat sulfur smell in well water [ 11 Answers ]

OK. I searched and read sevral other posts on similar subjects but am still confused. We are considering buying a property that has a well that when you draw cold water directly from well has a faint sulfur smell. Hot water from water heater is even worse smell. Some orange staining. A water test...

View more questions Search