Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjd Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Clogged water supply (service line)
    The pressure coming into my house is 40psi,but when I flush the toilet the pressure drops to 15psi. The private water company is telling me the service line is probably clogged with manganese. They also tell me this is my responsibility since I own the service line. The manganese comes from the water company's well(community) how can I remove the manganese without replacing the line(approx.150ft)
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2007, 10:23 PM
    Do you know what type of pipe you water line is made of??

Jan 21, 2007, 08:30 AM
    It was put in around 1973 so I am assuming it is copper
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 22, 2007, 05:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd
    it was put in around 1973 so i am assuming it is copper
    The one thing about plumbing is that you can't "assume" anything. Copper's a expensive way to run a water service. Check at the meter to make sure.
    You have a volume problem that's associated with mineral build up in a galvanized service line. This will not effect pressure until you ask it to provide more water then the pipe can carry. That's when your pressure drops. Your problem is caused by not enough water to furnish pressure to more then one fixture. The first place I would check is the water service itself. Good luck, Tom

Jan 22, 2007, 05:17 PM
    I'm sure it is copper,that is what is coming through my foundation wall. There is no meter.we pay a flat fee for the water(quarterly) I am also sure the problem is due to buildup in the service line. All the people in the development that have had pressure problems was a result of manganese buildup in the line. I am asking if there is a way to remove the manganese from the line. Maybe by using a compressor and blowing high pessure of air back to the main and blowing the deposit with it. Or installing some kind of chemical into the service line from inside my house and let it go back to the main if I can have the main valve shut down at the curb and let the chemiccal soak in the service line.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 24, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd
    i'm sure it is copper,that is what is coming thru my foundation wall. there is no meter.we pay a flat fee for the water(quarterly) i am also sure the problem is due to buildup in the service line. all the people in the developement that have had pressure problems was a result of manganese buildup in the line. i am asking if there is a way to remove the manganese from the line. maybe by using a compressor and blowing high pessure of air back to the main and blowing the deposit with it. or installing some kind of chemical into the service line from inside my house and let it go back to the main if i can have the main valve shut down at the curb and let the chemiccal soak in the service line.
    If you blow the manganese back into the main it will be drawn back into the first system that makes a draw. I know of no chemical that you can interject into the service line to clear it. I would replace the service line with PVC and consider installing a filter on the line when it enters your house.
    Good luck, Tom

Jan 28, 2007, 08:18 AM
    The line is 150' long(very expensive) the filter would only help the inside of the house. The problem is on the service line coming from the main. However, pvc is a good idea.thanks
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2007, 09:42 AM
    "i'm sure it is copper,that is what is coming thru my foundation wall."

You're assuming again and you can't do that in plumbing. You may have copper stubed out the foundation wall but I'm concerned with what's connected to that copper stub out. Go out to the meter and tell me what kind of pipe's connected on your side. Regards, Tom

Jan 28, 2007, 10:24 AM
    I have no meter. We are billed flat rate,per quarter. If the line is clogged with manganese which I'm sure it is based on other houses in the developemwnt that has had their line replaced what difference does it make what is made of. The line is clogged and I want to know how I can unclog it without replacing it
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2007, 11:27 AM
    There has to be a shut off where the utilities connect to the house service. In order to flush out the service line both ends will have to be clear while a power snake is run the length of the service line. Afterward flush it out under pressure. The only other way would be to replace the line with PVC. Regards, Tom

Jan 28, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Yes you are right,the connection between the shut off valve at the street is where the line can be disconnected and then the line can be flushed out and let all the sediment go into the ground rather than the main.thanks
    mcjean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2011, 05:59 PM
    Hello - my question is to tjd. Did you ever solve your problem. We're having the same one and we don't want to replace the line. LOT OF WORK!
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2011, 01:36 AM

Helo Mcjean,

This is a 3 years old post open your own post and some one will respond to your question, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clogged water line [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I only have water coming to one of three bathrooms. I got an estimate for $10,000 from a plumberto repair the system. The plumbing is galvanized. The house was left to me and siblings by our father. I think this is an outrageous price. Is they a way to solve the problem that is not so...

Supply line size [ 2 Answers ]

http://home.comcast.net/~lpeery1/images/plumbing.jpg I need to run supply lines for a bar sink, toilet, bath sink all sharing the same wall (3 colds, 2 hots). Should the two horizontal supply lines I bring over off the main 3/4 inch lines be 1/2 inch or 3/4. Thanks, Larry

Replacing Toilet's Water Supply Line [ 9 Answers ]

My house was built in 1979. I have a leak in the water supply line connecting from the turn-off valve down by the baseboard to the tank. I just replaced the guts of the toilet and when I got ready to turn the water back on, the bendable line was leaking. Evidently the line was bent one too many...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

Vanity drain line and water supply [ 5 Answers ]

Tom, I have a couple of questions for you. I am installing a double simk vanity. What is the standard for the drain line coming through the wall, as far as how high off the floor, and how far through the wall should it protrude for the trap adapter etc. same thing for the supply lines coming...

View more questions Search