Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aleyman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Shower leaks after it is turned off
    I have a problem where after taking a shower and turning the water off the floor on the outside of the tub/shower enclosure has water on it. The side of the tub is NOT wet as if the curtain was not in place correctly. This has happened twice this week. The house is only three years old. The lever to make the water come out of the shower head rather than the tub spout is located in the tub spout and not the handle that turns the water on and off. If you think you know the problem do you have any idea on the repair cost? I have been laid off for a while and I'm not too good when it comes to plumbing type problems. I think it is wiser to pay someone from the start to do it right then to pay them to correct what ever problems I create in addition to the original problem.

Thanks in advance for any help you could give me.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 20, 2007, 02:24 PM
    In front of the tub drain should be a access panel. This panel may be in a closet but we usually leave one in case the tub needs to be serviced. Open it up and check for moisture under the tub. Let me know, Tom

Jan 20, 2007, 02:44 PM
    There is not an access panel. In front of the tub drain where the pipes run through the wall is all tile on the inside of the tub and the other side of the wall is an exterior wall consisting of all brick.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 20, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Before you can repair it you have to locate it. A few questions. How much water are we talking about? Is the tub located on the second floor or on a slab? If you're on a slab then I would suspect the tile grout has shrunk allowing water to seep down to the floor. Next time in the shower notice where the stream strikes the tile and regrout the area. Good luck, Tom

Jan 20, 2007, 03:28 PM
    It is a small amount of water, I would guess about 1/2 of a gallon. The tub is on the first floor on a slab. All the grout seems fine. I think the water only starts to leak onto the floor is when the shower is turned off and the valve that directs the water to the shower head is returned to the down posisition (I need to pull the lever up to direct the water to the shower head rather than the tub spout after I have turned the water on).

Thanks for your time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Head leaks [ 1 Answers ]

Here is an interesting problem. When I draw a bath for my children, water runs from the shower head. I have replaced the entire mechanism which distributes the water to the shower head and the bathtub spicate for the 3rd time. I have tried removing the spicate so that only the pipe was...

Shower leaks to basement [ 1 Answers ]

The hot water pipe is leaking down to the basement. I removed the Compression fixture and replaced the stem washer thinking this was the cause. Also I made sure the fixture was secure and tight. The leak is a slow one, the drip, drip kind. The leak runs down the pipe. Maybe there is another...

New PriceFister shower leaks [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a complete Price fister shower about 6 months ago and now it is starting to drip. It has a center control for hot/cold it's cold that is dripping, Where do I look for adjustment? Behind the control knob is a enclosed casing with four screws, in there? Does it use washers?

New shower drain leaks [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, looking for some expert plumbing advice... My new showewr drain leaks around the exterior of the drain between the grout and the drain itself. I have torn out the tiles around the drain and now need to seal the drain to the floor and seal it up to the tiles to prevent the leakage. (does...

View more questions Search