Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gman58 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2011, 06:51 AM
    Submersible pump runs but doesn't pump.
    The water to my house quits periodicly. When it does this, I have tested the power to the pump and no probem. Also, I can hear the pump running but there is no pressure. I can shut the breaker off for a few seconds then turn it back on and it will pressure up normally. There is no indication of a low well as there is no discoloration to the water and no air comes out of the faucets. I have talked to my local well company which has been in business for many years and is very knowledgeable, but there at a loss.
    Thanks,
    Gman
    keithlm Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2011, 04:00 PM
    There is a possibility that the impeller is actually loose from the shaft and just spinning.
    keithlm Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2011, 04:02 PM
    My answer was not of much help. I first didn't catch the part where sometimes it works properly.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2011, 05:16 PM
    Don't know about an impeller, submersible pumps have a lot of them. Once it does pressure up does it keep pressure? You could have a leak in the pipe. Could also be a dirty or sticking check valve. Unfortunately, they are located in the pump body. In you well casing cap there is usually a 1/2 or 3/4" plug. Remove the plug, run the punp until it shuts off and listen for water dripping or running into the well. If you hear anything like that, you have a pipe leak. If not, it may be the check valve.
    Gman58 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 05:06 AM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Once it pressures up, it holds pressure and cycles normally when the water is used. Pressure does not drop if no water is running. It may work normally for a day or two then act up again. Thanks for the input.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two questions pool pump & submersible well pump for irrigation in river [ 3 Answers ]

Have a inground pool about 5 yrs old that we replace motor every yr,the wireing & amount of juice is OK it's the sealed bearings that start squealing an freeze up, 2ND ? The well pump is 220v / 2 wire direct to breaker ,its on or off nothing fancy an has worked for years except this yr ,runs...

Submersible pump is vibrating when I plug it in but doesn't drwa water in? [ 0 Answers ]

I use a submersible pump for a ski edging machine, when it is plugged in it starts to vibrate but when in the water it does not seem to draw any water in and is not pumping any water out into the tube where I need it to go, what could be the cause of this?

My submersible pump runs but drains back into the well? [ 1 Answers ]

My submersible builds pressure but drains right back into the well. I can feel air coming out of the top of the well casing when it drains back into the well quickly. Why is this happining

My submersible pump runs but drains back into the well? [ 0 Answers ]

My submersible pump builds pressure but then drains back into the well and kicks on again. Why is this happening.

Submersible Pump [ 6 Answers ]

A friend asked me to hook up his water pump. He has the red black yellow and green wires running to the house, which he wants hooked up to the box. This is not right is it. I thought that power came from main box to a control box and these wires hooked to control box from pump?

View more questions Search