Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjwinter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 12:31 PM
    Shower leak behind wall -- how to proceed
    Hi,

I have a shower/bath combination with a Mixet single handle valve. There is no leak on the pressurized system and when I run wanter into the tub through the downspout I have no sign of a leak. However, if I turn the diverter and run water through the shower I get a leak, as water starts to slowly show through the baseboard next to the tub after about 15-30 seconds of running the shower.

We refinished this secondary shower about 2 years ago with all new hardibacker and porcelain tile. It hardly gets used but we noticed the leak about 2 months ago when running water through the shower. I would absolutely hate having to tear into the tiling we have done, because it has been done very well and will be a difficult destruction job.

Is there any chance the leak is caused by the cartridge in the mixet valve? Should I try replacing all valves and seals I possibly can before tearing into the wall? I just find it hard to believe that all of a sudden the piping from the valve up to the shower head would develop a leak, but I suppose it is possible.

All and any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Christian

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a product that I can use to stop a leak in a shower pan in a tiled shower? [ 4 Answers ]

I have an upstairs fullly tiled shower that is leaking from the shower pan. I have opened the ceiling below and tested both the drain and the shower pan and it is the pan that has a slow drip. Is there a product that I can apply over the tile to seal the leak? In "the old days" there used to be...

Outside leak at foundation same wall as indoor shower [ 2 Answers ]

My Son owns a twenty year old brick home. There is a continual leak on top of the foundation on the outside of the house.Located in the interior of that same wall is a shower. A plumber suggested that the drain pan may be the problem but my Son has not used the shower in the past twenty days. He...

Shower Leak and toilet leak in different bathrooms [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Leak 1. Last week I noticed a water stain in my ceiling below my shower. The stain is about 1 foot to the left of where the drain would be. The stain on my ceiling is in the shape of an "L" . Leak 2. I hope this is unrealated to Leak 1. There is a stain on my ceiling which I...

Shower leak from wall [ 3 Answers ]

I have a problem relating to my shower. I have a leak coming from where the shower head goes into the wall. At first I thought it was just a problem from the shower head, but after I removed it, there is still a leak. The pipe the shower head connects to has water continually running out of it. ...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.