Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeanineesq Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Urine smell in basement
    Today I went down into our basement and smelled an intensely ammonia-like almost urine smell. I investigated a bit and found no obvious leaks, burst pipes, etc. and am stymied. We generally have a moisture issue in the basement, which we have not addressed in the 3 years we've lived here, but this smell is entirely different, and seems to have come out of nowhere. I didn't smell it yesterday.

We do not have pets, but we do have an infant, and we are using "gDiapers," which are flushable and have not given us any plumbing problems in the 4 months we've been using them. We live in a 100 year old rowhome and by the thickness of the dust and detritus that has accumulated on the plumbing (big, 8-inch or so diameter pipe - is this the sewer pipe?) in our unfinished, concrete floor basement, I'm guessing the plumbing is pretty old. Any ideas? This is obviously quite disgusting... thanks in advance!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 12, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Have you checked the floor drain if you have one? Regards, Tom

Jan 12, 2007, 11:33 AM
    I am not sure if I have one - how would I know? We've got lots of stuff stored down there; it's only about 1100 sq feet but there's a lot to move around.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 12, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Look for the floor to slope to a floor drain. Regards, Tom

Jan 12, 2007, 05:42 PM
    It doesn't look like we have a drain; any other ideas? My mom said it could be gas, but I have never known gas to smell like ammonia.
    mouzer Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Jan 13, 2007, 05:52 AM
    I had the same problem, I just took everything out of the basement and sprayed everything with scrubbing bubbles, then fbreeze. It smelled nice, but I could still slightly smell it. I put a dehydrater in the basement and its still there, it still very moist. I'm going to put 3 more in there to see if that solves the problem
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Do you have any fixtures in your basement" A toilet or sink? Is the sewer main line below the cement floor or is it above the floor line? Tom

Jan 13, 2007, 02:33 PM
    No fixtures at all; The sewer line I believe runs down the wall and then under the floor.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2007, 03:17 PM
    If you have no fixtures or a floor drain in the basement I fail to see where the odor could be coming from. Feel around the drainage pipes. Any moisture there? Do you have a dog or a cat? Regards, Tom
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Jan 13, 2007, 11:01 PM
    I had that problem once... then I found out why my cat didn't seem to need her litter box anymore...

Jan 14, 2007, 05:42 PM
    We don't have any pets and the basement is closed so our neighbors' cats could not have access, as far as we know. There must be moisture someplace down there; thanks to all for responses and suggestions!
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Jan 15, 2007, 08:58 PM
    I also live in a really old home. My basement walls smell intense ammonia too, I believe it is the white paint that they put on the stone wall, interior. It is just a guess.

Knucklez
    jrdaviss07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 12:57 PM

It bothers me that everyone writes this off to be cat pee or dead rats. I too have this problem and I've done it all. The smell is still there wofting up the basement stairs and my cold air returns. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but know you're not alone!
    kbarklow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2009, 07:33 AM

I just read something on the web that said it's from mildew, not mold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell in basement [ 2 Answers ]

Every now and then I get a spetic smell in my basement. It is really bad after heavy rains. I have well water and get my septoic system pumped annually. Any ideas on what may be causing this odor and what I can do to correct the problem? It doesn't smell all the time but when it does its pretty...

Basement Bathroom Smell [ 3 Answers ]

We have a bathroom in our basement and after heavy use (we had 15 people in the house over Thanksgiving), both in this bathroom and the others( 2 full on 2nd floor and a powder room on the 1st), there is a very bad smell in the basement bathroom. We have septic, which is somewhat overbuilt (2 1200...

Please help - source of smell in basement? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am new to this board and would appreciate your help. We have had a bad sewer smell come and go from our basement - and the smell comes up into the rest of the house. We use the bathroom down there daily, so it's not a case of dried up p-traps, or whatever, and the smell is not in the...

Urine smell in downstairs bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

WE have a bathroom downstairs that has a strong urine smell coming from the shower , either under the shower or in the drain. What can I do about this to figure out why this is happening? Val

Strong urine smell (new house) [ 5 Answers ]

I have a new home that was built in 2002/2003. For the past year, there is a strong musty/urine smell in the guest bathroom. This bathroom is used regularly. It is also very clean. The only thing that I can figure is that it is right next to where the lift station is buried. Could this be...

View more questions Search