Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afford Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2010, 02:08 PM
    How to remove Temptrol T21-C diverter retainer
    How do you remove the diverter retainer (T21-C) on the Temptrol Mixing Valve Model A Tub/Shower system. Then I need to know how to remove the TA-25A diverter spindle. Thank you
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 24, 2010, 03:02 PM

Hi Afford...

You're talking about a valve I have been installing and repairing for over 30 years now, so read on...

Remove all of the chrome trim parts and then you will need a 5/16" allen wrench to remove the DIVERTER RETAINER and a 5/16" x 3" LAG BOLT to remove the DIVERTER SPINDLE itself. Although the bolt sounds wrong it is exactly what Symmons recommends.

You will need to screw the 5/16" lag bolt into the spindle and then give a strong YANK to remove the old spindle (hold valve body here). To install the new spindle you will need to grease (silicone grease) the new spindle at the O-RING to insert it into the valve body... push hard to seat it. Then re-install the retainer (be careful not to drop it... ) and test all.

That should get you up and running again. Let us know how you make out, OK?

MARK
    Attached Images

gavcar912 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2012, 01:41 PM
    Hi Mark;

I had a stuck diverter in my kids shower this morning. I followed your instructions after picking up the spindle at Home Depot. Your instructions were perfect and worked without a hitch! The shower is up and running again.

Thank you for your answer!! Gavin
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 12, 2012, 01:54 PM
    Hi Gavin

Thank you for taking the time to let me know that the information helped... I appreciate it!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Symmons temptrol diverter repair? [ 5 Answers ]

Is is possible to adjust the new diverter once it has been installed? The shower will only come on when the diverter is moved to the middle.

Symmons - Temptrol Diverter [ 22 Answers ]

I have the above diverter in my bathroom. Recently it started to leak from the diverter handle that changes the use from tub to shower. I purchased the Symmons TA-25A Iverter Spindle to replace old. My problem is that I do not know how to remove the old spindle. Can anyone help me with my problem?

How can I remove diverter spout? [ 2 Answers ]

I have read other answers to this question but have not found out what I might be doing wrong. I have a Moen tub & shower spout with a pull up diverter in the spout. I have removed the allen screw and tried to unscrew the spout. After more than 100 counterclockwise turns the spout is no closer to...

SYMMONS Temptrol leaking from diverter [ 1 Answers ]

Symmons sent the replacement seats and tools to repair a leak from the diverter hole that happens only when water is turned on. I replaced the seats, tightening by hand stopping short of cranking them. (I didn't use a torque wrench). Three times I removed them and adjusted them, but the...

Temptrol shower valve leaking from diverter [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1985 vintage Temptrol shower valve, model A, that is leaking from diverter. When I turn the handle I get a burst of water from the hole where the diverter handle plugs in. I have a parts breakdown list but it looks like a newer model. Can mine be repaired? Thanks

View more questions Search