Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gdarnell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2010, 07:04 AM
    Water pump pressure builds too high and trips the pressure valve
    First I had to replace the breaker for the water pump because the breaker must have went bad because I had no power to the pump. Fixed that and everything worked fine. I had to shutoff the water supply to repair a leak in a pipe. After I repaired the pipe I turned the water back on and got no water to the house. Now here is where I may have messed things up. Not getting any water I triped the pressure switch and water came out the relief hole. Pressure gauge is pegged past 100 and now keeps tripping when I turn the power on and wtill no water to the house. Water shutoff to the house is on so water should flow to the house. One more thing I may have messed up is I let some of the air out of the pressure tank to lower the pressure on the gauge which worked however when I turn the pump back on the pressure just pegs out again.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2010, 07:19 AM

1. Check the little pipe leading to the pressure switch. It can sometimes clog and prevent the switch from working correctly.
    2. If that is OK, then replace the switch.
    3. Check the shutoff. Sounds like it might have become obstructed with all of the shutting off/on.
    4. You really don't want pressure to get up to 100#.
    5. You never should release air from the tank. That needs to be set to 2# BELOW the pressure at which the switch turns the pump on. This should be done with the tank empty and pressure drained down to zero.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whole house water filter causes hammer, trips pressure valve on heater - why? [ 3 Answers ]

I recently installed a Whole House Water Filter - GE GXWH40L. It works fine, but I noticed that when the filter is ON: (1) The water heater stars to leak significant amounts of water through the Pressure Relief Valve (2) There is a distinctive knocking noise when water appliances, washer,...

When water is turned on Pump cycles on and off before pressure builds back up [ 5 Answers ]

Ok this is a new system Wellsaver Tank LPT-20 up right tank, and WaterAce RTS7 pump. Water Pressues is great and even with the pump cycling on and off still have great water pressure. This is my vac home and when I installed it last year it work great right out of box. The voltage...

Water pump pressure builds too high and won't cut off [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had to turn the water off to my house to replace the hot water heater. After we replaced the hot water heater, we went to turn the water back on but the pump had lost all of it's pressure. I was able to re-prime the pump and get water flowing to the house again. Problem solved, right?!...

High water pressure from well pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have an underground well pump that supplies water to the house and the cow fields. Within the past few day's we experienced a sudden increase in water pressure. No water lines have been turned off to the fields. The switch that turns on the well pump when pressure is below 40psi is a little...

View more questions Search