Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KelleyS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Tub Spout
    I have an old tub spout with diverter that I am trying to replace. The pipe underneath has a 1 1/4" adapter attached that has been in place for 10 years. My question is how do I remove that adapter? I know heating it is an option, but what should I use that won't melt the plastic tub wall, and how do I do it?

Or is there any place to purchase a new spout that will accomodate the 1 1/4" pipe? I have tried the local home improvement stores, and they don't carry this size.

Thank you. Kelley
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Hey Kelly,

This is the second time some one has asked me for a 1 1/4" threaded diverter spout. I couldnt find one on the web then and I couldn't find one now. The best I can offer is a 1/2 or3/4" spout. A sharp plumber with a few well placed metal pot holders could unsweat the old 1 1/4 adapter off and replace it with a 1/2 or 3/4" one in he kept the flame of his torch INSIDE the adapter instead of outside when he was heating the fitting. Sorry Kelly, Ya got my best shot. Good luck, Tom
    bobby211 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 05:49 PM
    I also have this same problem. A plastic adaptor was slipped onto the metal pipe that protrudes from the wall. It seems to be held in place with a nut, which I can't seem to budge. I went to the hardware store and picked up a Delta replacement spout RP5834. There is a metal adaptor inserted into the spout. The instructions say to attach the adaptor first, then attach the spout. The adaptor is in the replacement spout pretty good - I can't get it out. I think if I could, then I could screw the spout onto the adaptor that is already on the metal pipe. I think I am just going to clean up my old spout and reuse it. But I thought this may help you. I think it is worth a try, before you have a plumber remove your current adaptor.
    bobby211 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Okay - I got it. I removed the metal adaptor from the new spout and the new spout now has an opening of 1.25". It fits onto my existing adaptor perfectly. Also, I removed the o-ring from the new adaptor and put it on my old one while I was at it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bath tub spout [ 23 Answers ]

I replaced my bath faucet and now am struggling (to say the least) to get the tub spout to not leak. It is a brand new spout that come with the faucet. A delta faucet. I cannot get the spout to not leak. I did the directions to a T and for whatever reason the spout keeps leaking through the...

Tub spout dripping [ 5 Answers ]

My bath tup spout/faucet is dripping. What can I do about this? Thank You

Bath Tub spout [ 1 Answers ]

May sound simple to most of you but I'm having a hell of a time with this. The diverter on the bath tub spout lets half the water drian out of the spout and the other half comes out of the shower, I removed the spout and went to Lowe's home depot etc and they don't have one remotely close to this...

2" Tub Spout [ 1 Answers ]

I took off an old tub spout to replace it - it was then that I discovered that it was a 2" inlet.... No one seems to selll these anymore... any suggestions on where to find one? I reall don't care what it looks like as long as it is functional- we are going to re-do the bathroom someday and will...

Need help replacing tub spout [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, my husband and I are not the handiest people in the world. We needed to replace a tub spout with diverter, as water was not coming out of the shower head. We bought a universal tub spout with diverter, the kind with a thread screw and retainer ring. We followed the directions to a T, and...

View more questions Search