Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobrodkey Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2010, 10:05 AM
    Two slow flushing toilets
    About a week ago my upstairs toilet started flushing slowly and acting like it was clogged. It would not completely flush away solids or toilet paper. I plunged on multiple occasions over the past week and have got it to go down, but then will just start acting clogged again sometimes without it even being used since I plunged. The plunger I have does not make a perfect seal over the hole on the toilet so I kept telling myself that was the issue. Yesterday I noticed the toilet in my master bedroom seems to be flushing slow, just swirls a lot before it actually goes down and does not go down with a ton of pressure. The two bathrooms are right next to each other. If I cut a hole in the wall of the master bath I would see into the main bathroom, so I would guess it is possible for one clog to be affecting both toilets. I have a toilet downstairs that flushes normally, but my shower drain downstairs seems to be backed up but this could be completely unrelated and a separate issue as this shower has not been in use for about 9 months due to a bathroom remodel and could be clogged with debris from the construction. Just want to know if there is an easy fix I can try for both issues before I call I plumber and pay more money than I need to. Thanks ahead for any help.

Bob Rodkey
    Pittsburgh
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 17, 2010, 05:14 AM

I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply.. Tom

Sep 17, 2010, 05:47 PM
    Why would both toilets be affected?

Sep 17, 2010, 08:02 PM
    Comment on bobrodkey's post
    I tried your advice and still doing the same thing. The water level in the tank is at the fill line but if I fill it up with more water than the toilet flushes all the way. When I flush without adding water I swirls but never goes down. It just se
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 18, 2010, 04:01 PM

Sometimes the factory setting is low. The water level should be about 1/2" beneath the top of the white overflow tube.
    When I flush without adding water I swirls but never goes down.
    This is the classic symptom of a blocked jet hole. I gave you the same advice on both toilets because they were both doing the same thing. If your water levels are as high as they will go and the jet's open and there's no backup then I'm stumped. Any experts out there with a solution ? Tom

Sep 19, 2010, 02:26 PM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    Can I adjust where it allows the water to fill up to? If so, how?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilets not flushing properly [ 2 Answers ]

I have two toilets in my house. The first toilet stopped flushing properly. There's plenty of water pressure, it attepts to flush but doesn't flush all the way. Shortly after the problem started another one appeared, after flushing the water level rises to the point of almost overflowing and still...

Noisy pipes after flushing toilets [ 1 Answers ]

I replace the valve and everything inside the toilet and also installed a water hammer arrester underneath the toilet but still pipes makes noise. What else can it be.

Flushing uphill Toilets Systems [ 3 Answers ]

Where could I learn about installing a toilet flushing system that can be put in a basement with a Septic tank system. Do they make toilets that flush up hill? Where can I read about that system and how much to they cost and are they hard to install? ...

One of my toilets not completely flushing [ 7 Answers ]

My upstairs toilet is not flushing the toilet paper or any matter that is floating other than sinking in my toilet. Why all of a sudden is this happening and what can I do about it?

New Toilets Not Flushing [ 2 Answers ]

We recently purchased a 20 year old 2-story house in Las Vegas. 2 of the 3 toilets, I think on the same pipe because they are right above and below each other, were having lots of trouble flushing. We have a homeowner warranty and they sent out a plumber. The plumber replaced the entire toilet...

View more questions Search