Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Texas Tom Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Aug 14, 2010, 02:31 PM
    Hot watter “rotten egg smell”
    Last year I had two new Whirlpool electric water heaters installed at our lake house. They were replaced, not because of extended use, but because they were quite old and when they were originally installed, no leak pan was installed. We only go to the house about two times a month, and while we are gone, the WH power is turned Off. I was worried about a leak while we were gone.

However, both new WHs have a problem when we return. The water has a “rotten egg smell” from the presence of hydrogen sulfide gas dissolved in the water. Doesn’t matter whether we leave the power On or Off.

The users manual addresses this problem & says that a special anode rod can be installed, however, it says it may reduce but not eliminate the odor.

What I have been doing is to run the water from both WHs sufficiently long to replace all the water with clean water. But this is a nuisance to do.

I have several questions.

1. Is installing the special anode rod likely to eliminate the odor?
    2. Can I install the rod myself, or is it better to have a plumber install? I am an experienced DIYer.
    3. The users manual lists the special anode, but doesn’t give a part number. So I can’t Google a source/price. I’m sure if I order from the factory, it will be more expensive. Is there a good source to buy the anode whether I install it myself or have a plumber install it?
    4. The users manual also says that the anode rod should be removed/inspected every 3 years & replaced if it’s more than 50% depleted. Maybe I should just wait several years & then replace with the special anode rod.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2010, 03:54 PM

Hello Texas Tom,

First of all if your water heaters are one year old I am sure you still have warranty on it, please contact the manufacturer explain your problem they will advice you better if it will need to replace the Anode rod or anything else they will send you the parts, good luck.

John
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 15, 2010, 06:03 AM
    John, they won't replace his anode rod simply because he has water that interacts with the magnesium anode rod supplied with the new water heater... not their fault! He'll need to replace it himself.

TexasTom...

1) Yes, replacing the rod is your next best step.

2) With TWO people, you can replace the rod yourself. One holds the heater from turning while you take a 1/2" drive socket wrench and 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" socket and loosen/remove the anode rod. The anode rod is factory tightened so it's in there pretty good... ;)

3) A local plumbing supply store should be able to get you an aluminum or aluminum/zinc anode rod. Most will carry them in stock.

4) I'd replace the rod now and get rid of the chemical reaction causing the odors.

This really isn't a hard job... just be sure you have a strong friend holding against you when you try to remove the rod.

Let us know how you make out.. OK?

Mark

PS: For more info. On the different kinds of anode rods check out this article:
    http://www.doityourself.com/stry/5-t...rods-explained

Only issue I have with this article is that the aluminum rod is NOT the most common rod used... magnesium is the most common anode rod installed nowadays.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 15, 2010, 06:17 AM
    Mark gave you excellent advice. r=Replace the old magnesium rod with a aluminum one. Open the hot water faucets to flush out the lines.
    If yoi ==u still have a smell or taste remove the aerators and soak them in bleach. Here's a image that may help. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2010, 11:16 AM

Mark,

Thanks for clarifying.

Regards,
    John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rotten egg smell, only from one bathroom, both hot and col [ 1 Answers ]

The master bath's faucets, both sink and shower start with a rotten egg smell then the smell dissipates after it runs for a minute or two. Our other bathrooms and kitchen seem fine. We use city water, and not a well. I've found online that it might be in the pipes, but I can't find how to...

Rotten Egg smell in Bathroom When Hot Water is ON [ 2 Answers ]

We get a rotten egg smell when the hot water is turned on in a bathroom. We are on city water. It last for about 5 minutes or more and then goes away. It starts up a again the next time we use the faucet. Have no clue and this has been happening for a few years now. MiKE

Rotten egg smell [ 4 Answers ]

When I turn the air conditioner on after being off for a day or so I notice a rotten egg smell for the first few minutes the air is on. What is causing this smell?

Rotten egg smell [ 3 Answers ]

I have well water with a rotten egg smell, from what I am told it could be the anode rod in the hot water heater. I don't have a hot water heater, we have a hot water boiler that is used to heat the house and the potable water, also is the water dangerous due to the smell.

View more questions Search