Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sharvanhooser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2010, 01:50 PM
    Condo plumbing problems
    I live in a lower condo. My neighbor'd washer & dryer are right above mine. When I wash I have no problem. When they wash it floods the floor in back of my washer and runs into the hallway. It was snaked from the roof however it still happens. Who has the problem? One plumber said the upper unit was at fault because of a P-trap and wants to remove the drywall Another plumber said it is my problem and my wall should be removed. How do we determine what to do. The association will not pay if it is a P-trapl
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 02:27 PM

Need to ask some questions:

1. Does the upper floor have those high efficiency front loading washers.
    2. Size of the pipe?
    3. Distance of your trap from your floor?
    4. height of washer drain in your unit (where washer dumps)?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 02:31 PM

Hi Sharvanhooser...

When you use your washing machine there is no flooding in your unit... right?

When the people upstairs use their washing machine water overflows their pipes and follows the pipes down the wall and shows up in your place... right?

First thing I would do is to have the people upstairs run a wash and then you guys watch the pipes/ptrap on the upper floor and in your unit to see where the water comes out of the pipes. If the PTRAP at top floor overflows then the issue will be in their drain line. If the ptrap at your floor overflows then the issue is in a common drain line to both units. This drain would needto be snaked... paid via condo. Association... ;)

That's where to start... let me know if you have questions.

Mark
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 05:05 PM

I have some familiarity with condominium property. What ever the problem is, it is not yours.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 14, 2010, 08:33 AM
    My 2 cents...

It is a common problem: you and your neighbor above are sharing same drain line. I bet you kitchen sinks are connected to the same, common, drain. If the drain cloggs below point of connection ( below your unit ), water backs up and overflows in your condominium first. People above have no idea this is happening.

Snaking from the roof will not do too much, especially if Vent 90 were used to vent this drain. Snake simply won't make the turns all the way down where pipe turns from vertical to horizontal. You have to get closer to the clog.

Go to the basement / subterranean garage (if you have one), locate this drain and snake it through clean out at the end of this horizontal pipe. Then pull out your washer and there should be 2" clean out. Use that clean out to insert snake. If you don't have clean out behind your washer than you have to cut the wall and cut the pipe to put one in. That clean out will take care of the vertical section of the drain.

As far as responsibility goes: I agree with Mark.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a delta bath/shower faucet that was leaking pretty good. Ichanged the grommets and spring even the stems on the hot and cold.. It keeps coming out or something .the hot side keeps eating up the grommets for some reason could someone honened out the seats now they won't seal the rubber...

Plumbing problems [ 6 Answers ]

We just gutted our bathroom and had to replace some of the cooper lines, this has been a job. Now our upstairs sink has no water pressure, we are still in the process of installing the new shower hardware and the shower will not shut off, it drizzles. What could we have done to the sink upstairs,...

Fellow condo owner not paying condo or any fees [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all.. Hey, have a situation here with 3 condominiums, 2 pay all bills on time the other is about 5 months behind on all bills. This is rough as he has finally fallen behind enough to have tapped out the reserves and next month we (the other 2 condo owners) will finally have to start dipping...

New condo problem plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, I purchased a new condo (renovation, top to bottom) in Aug 06 and have had a number of plumbing issues. Sewage in basement, backed up kitchen drain/food disposal, no hot water in the shower, and now a leaky bathroom sink. Is it usual to have issues with new plumbing or have I bought...

Plumbing problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having a problem with my downstair toilets. They started to make bubble sounds and the water would disappear. My husband took a shower and the toilet backed up into it. The upstairs toilet is fine. It started when I was washing the clothes and my laundry room is upstairs. Don't know what...

View more questions Search