Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joethomas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 10:16 AM
    Noisy pipes
    Background: On demand hot water is pumped through twenty condo units. Also, each unit has a forced air hot water heating element. The outdoor pump is loud and wears out frequently. The noise and vibration travels up the pipe into the floor of the first unit. The pipes make a lot of noise in the unit.

Question: Is the pump under powered? Has eighteen years of mineral build up in the pipes and heating units caused a problem? What can be done to quiet the noise in the unit?
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Dec 20, 2006, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joethomas
    Background: On demand hot water is pumped through twenty condo units. Also, each unit has a forced air hot water heating element. The outdoor pump is loud and wears out frequently. The noise and vibration travels up the pipe into the floor of the first unit. The pipes make a lot of noise in the unit.

Question: Is the pump under powered? Has eighteen years of mineral build up in the pipes and heating units caused a problem? What can be done to quiet the noise in the unit?
    It is a closed system mineral should not built up too much . Does it sit on any kind of vibration pad
    rsimplicio Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Dec 20, 2006, 10:37 PM
    I just want to clarify, this is a hydronic heating system correct? From what I know of hydronic heating, this could be several things.

It is not out of the question for the heating coils to become clogged, which would need to be acid washed out (I really recommend a hydronic contractor doing this). But caibuadday is correct in that a hydronic heating system is a closed system (or should be), and once the water has been added to the system, corrosion and mineral build-up are not significant, unless a lot of make-up water has to be added (because of a leak). The coils are most prone to clogging because the passages are smaller.

The issue of the pump noise is a little trickier. As mentioned above, it could be mounted directly to the concrete, instead of through rubber isolators. It could also be quieted by using pump isolators, as related in this story: http://www.hpac.com/member/archive/0009war.htm#noise . It could be cavitation in the pump (air coming out of suspension to form bubbles), which can also ruin the pump. It could be a bad bearing in the pump. It could also be that the pipe is rubbing against the floor & framing of the first unit.

If the pump wasn't underpowered when the system was designed and installed, I sincerely doubt it is now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noisy Refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

The condenser makes a lot of noise when it is working (quiet when in the defrost cycle). Loud enough that I can hear it both upstairs and downstairs. Maintenance guys in my complex say that it's just old and that there's nothing that can be done about it. I asked whether someone could come out and...

Noisy Shower [ 1 Answers ]

While taking a shower the pipes began to vibrate and bang and then the water stopped coming out. It was really loud. When I switched the water back to the tub it was fine. I have a two knob shower with diverter knob in the middle. What is this noise and how can it be fixed? Thank you for your...

Noisy pipes [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I turn on my water the water pipes make a loud noise. What could it be?

New A/C noisy when running [ 1 Answers ]

I just recently installed a new central a/c. When the compressor kicks on, there is a high-pitched sound coming through the a coil. With just the fan on or the furnace, this noise is not present. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. P.S. The installer isn't sure what it is either

Noisy Drainage [ 1 Answers ]

Have begun hearing quite noticeable "cracking" sounds in the walls behind upstairs bathroom whenever water drains from sink or shower (but not toilet). I thought it might be a problem with the water lines and wall studs but have ruled this out by filling sink/tub with stoppers in place. Noise...

View more questions Search