Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrLab Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2010, 01:26 PM
    Pex re-pipe in attic, now cold water hot for 3-4minutes, now what?
    We had our house repiped with Pex (in the attic) and now the cold water takes 3 to 4 minutes to get cold. We are on well water/pressure tank and live in the hot south central USA. The attic does get very hot. The Pex has a foam insulated cover around it. What can we do now? More insulation or better ventalation in the attic? Or did the plumber forget something?
    Thanks
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2010, 04:51 PM

Did it do the same thing before repiping? Are you on a slab? Why did they put it in the attic because in the winter, even where you live, it will freeze. Pex can take some freezing but the water won't get through the pipe. The attic is probably 130 degrees and to get cold needs a change of 70 degrees. Perhaps more insulation would help.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 17, 2010, 05:55 PM
    It is a common problem...
    You have to use proper thickness and density pipe insulation. Use the same insulation that AC contractors use to insulate their return line from condenser. Buy the thickest one available...

Also, you can use figerglass insulation used in commercial plumbing when pipes run exposed across a roof. This insulation is about 2" thick

Also, ventilate your attic. Add more fixed vents or use power vent that activates at certain temperature.

Educate yourself on types of insulations here: http://www.sandsinsulation.com/. Don't miss the instructional installation videos, too...

Back to you... Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pluming does the recurculating pipe hook to the hot or cold inlet to the water heater [ 0 Answers ]

Comercial water heater a pipe from the hot outlet returns to the cold inlet is this correct

Shower Hot & Cold water pipe connections were reversed. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My shower hot & cold water connection were reversed. Meaning in the cold water supply, hot water is coming out. It's hard for me to tear down the wall and reverse the connections because I'm not a handyman:confused:. Can you help me solve the problem?:confused: Can I just replace (if...

Hot water in cold water pipe [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on the cold water, I get cool water then hot water out of the faucette for 5 to 10 seconds then back to cold water. The toilet fills up with warm water. How do I fix?

Hot water coming from cold water pipe? [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on the cold water tap, cold water comes out initially, but quickly and momentarily becomes hot for about 30 seconds, then cold again. At the hot water heater, the cold water feed pipe feels cold to the touch when I turn on the hot water faucet - which makes sense and seems normal. If...

Leaking copper hot water pipe in ceiling between in attic of 2nd story home [ 1 Answers ]

March 9th 2008, has leak in copper hot water pipe. Pipe is between the 2nd story ceiling and attic. Had is repaired by licensed plumber same date. New leak discovered today (a week later - March 16th) same copper pipe, but different location. About three feet removed from first leak. Home is...

View more questions Search