Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nhocevar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 04:53 PM
    Do I have to install the tub spout with a tub/shower set?
    Do I have to install the tub spout portion of a tub/shower trim package?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 30, 2010, 05:24 PM

You are not telling us what do you exactly plan on doing, what you want to accomplish and what type/brand of faucet you have...

But in the interim...

No, you don't have to install tub spout with tub/shower set up. In fact, many manufacturers supply tub/shower bodies even they intent to sell it as shower only or tub only faucet.

If you want to use it as shower only faucet then you plug the bottom (spout) outlet at the rough body and use only upper outlet (shower). If you want to use it as Tub faucet only than plug the upper outlet (shower).

This works well with single handle faucets + diverter spouts. You can do the same with the older model 3-handle faucet - but the only drawback will be the non-functioning handle in the middle.

Important Note: If you have older Grohe tub/shower faucet with diverter spout than your shower will be routed from the bottom (spout) outlet - not from the top. Here you just won't use the required "Brass Ell" fitting.

Hope that will help... Good luck with your project... Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slip-on Tub Spout - Can't access set screw [ 19 Answers ]

I have been reading the posts about removing the different types of spouts. Mine is a 1/2 inch copper tube out of the wall. I can't get to the set screw. The spout will turn and with pressure come about 3/4" off the wall. I don't want to pull any harder and twist because I think I may damage...

The water in my shower will not switch from the shower head to the tub spout? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a small home, that I am getting ready to rent out the problem is I get water from the shower head just fine, but I get not water from the tub spout, any ideas?

Replace tub spout by shower [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to install a hand held shower instead of a tub spout in my new shower. Using a shower kit that has the diverter on the wall-mounted shower lever hand panel (as opposed to a pull-up diverter on the tub spout) I hope to run a hand-held shower from the valve output that would have...

Shower runs while tub spout in use [ 3 Answers ]

If you turn on the shower both spout and shower head runs and the diverter is not engaged how do you fix that problem?

Shower diverter and tub spout [ 1 Answers ]

When I run the shower water comes out of shower head and tub spout. What can I do to fix it?

View more questions Search