Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Luscious One Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2006, 12:37 PM
    Tub to Shower 1.5" pipe to 2"pipe
    Shower uses a 2" pipe. Tub used a 1.5 inch pipe. Bought a 2"pipe coupler... using the coupler to attach the new 2" pipe to the old 1.5 inch joint on the 3" main house drain pipe.

The coupler has too much play on the 1.5 inch side... almost like it's an 1/8th of a inch smaller than 1.5. What's up?

HELP.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2006, 12:54 PM
    First of all we have no idea of the material the pipes are made of. Next, are you telling us you're attempting to connect a 2" coupling on to a 1 1/2" pipe without first bushing the coupling down to 1 1/2"? Please explain. Tom

Dec 10, 2006, 01:10 PM
    Replacing tub with shower pan. The drain is 2"

The pipe is standard black pvc sewage pipe being used to drain the new shower to the existing 3" house drain. I'm a novice. What is bushing?
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2006, 02:46 PM
    I'm not attempting to make you look stupid, I'm attempting to understand exactly what going on. Common sense tells us that a 2" coupling can not fit a 1 1/2" pipe so what do we have?
    First off the black pipe's ABS not PVC. The pipe coming up out of the old tub trap is 1 1/2", and the tailpiece out of the shower is 2". (is it black also?) Am I correct so far? And all you wish to do is connect the two. You have two options, purchase a 2 X 1 1/2" reducing coupling or a 2 X 1 1/2" bushing, (see image) and put it in the 2" coupling that you have. Use primer and all purpose glue on the joints. Good luck, Tom

Dec 10, 2006, 03:03 PM
    Oh I didn't think you were trying to make me look stupid. Not at all. Both pieces are black and the coupling I bought is loose over the 1.5... like a little wiggle room. The 2" inch fits snug with no wiggle. Will glue take care of that? Thanks.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2006, 03:28 PM
    No! You need a ABS, (black) 2 X 1 1/2" bushing in that coupling to make it fit. Then you can prime and glue the joints. Good luck, Tom

Dec 10, 2006, 10:22 PM
    Thanks Tom. I sooo appreciate your help. Tomorrow we go to the store and get the 2"/1.5" bushing. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"approved coating" for LPG pipe fittings? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: What are "approved coatings" for buried LPG gas pipe black iron fittings. The code only alludes to approved, but doesn't specify. In the Old days, it was 4 layers of 10-mil pipe wrap. but I'm wondering if there is some sort of liquid coating that can be applied (such as alphalt...

3/4" copper pipe for washer drain? [ 20 Answers ]

Parents moved into new ranch style house, and bought new washer/dryer. Drain for washer is what looks like a 1" copper stub with a 3/4" conversion fitting on it. Its about 6" off the ground. plastic bendable hose drain for washer has a rubber gasket-type fitting around it which fits in 2" PVC...

How to run a 3"drain pipe [ 5 Answers ]

The relocation of my upstairs bathroom requires the change of the 3" abs drain pipe. The pipe starts at the toilet, after approx. 3 feet of horizontal run a 2" shower drain is connected with a Y-piece. Then after another 2 feet is a 1 1/2" sink drain connected with another Y pice. After 1 foot of...

View more questions Search