Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbholstrom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 09:33 PM
    Drum trap problem
    My bathtub drain is running very, very slowly. Several years ago I had this same problem and hired a plumber. He cleaned out the drum trap and replaced the cover and charged me lots of money. I'm sure I could do this my little old self if I could only get the cover off! Any sugguestions? The nice new cover has a small allen wrench fitting in the center which I can turn with an allen wrench and the top lifts off about an inch or two. There is then like another cover inside which I don't know what to do with. :confused: That's as far as I can get. I don't want to break anything. Help! I'm frustrated!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2006, 09:20 AM
    In older homes this trap will be a drum trap which has a removable top. This top often becomes corroded and may be very difficult to remove. Apply penetrating oil to the top and let it set for a few minutes. Then use a large wrench to remove the top. If that fails, a hammer and punch may be necessary to do the job.

After you have removed the trap or the cover check for debris in the trap itself and in the pipes leading to and from the trap. In tub drains clogs of hair and soap are quite commonplace. A pair of rubber gloves might be a good idea here.

After you have removed the clog and resealed the drain, run hot water through the drain for a few minutes. This will allow you to check the operation of the drain and to flush any remaining debris from the drain. Ihave put up some images to help you. Good luck, Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 16, 2012, 09:19 AM
    First of all you're responding to a 6 year old dead thread. Look up in the upper hand corner for the date before you post.

you should consult the plumber because you are not a skilled person and you can loose lot of money by taking care of it by yourself as more and more problems will come forward and at last you will have to call the plumber.
    I don't think you understand what we do here. We listen to their problems and then give them a solution. We're a do-it-yourself group. We only advise calling in outside expensive help when we run out of solutions. The entire purpose of The Plumbing Page is to avoid calling in a plumber. But we thank you for your input. Regards Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drum trap question [ 3 Answers ]

My upstairs shower drain has been running more and more slowly over the past few months. We tried chemicals and snaking it, to no avail. I finally called a plumber last week. He opened the crawlspace and pointed out the drum trap, and said that it was likely a clog in the drum trap. He said...

Old lead Drum Trap - can I cut it out? [ 10 Answers ]

I live in a pretty old house, and we have just begun having problems with our bathtub draining. I've tried 4 or 5 different kinds of drain cleaners - including acid based ones, to no avail. Roto Rooter was out to fix my toilet a couple of days ago, and recommended that I remove the drum trap and...

Design of a vapor-liquid separator (or flash drum, or knockout drum) [ 2 Answers ]

A vapor-liquid separator drum is a vertical vessel into which a liquid and vapor mixture (or a flashing liquid) is fed and wherein the liquid is separated by gravity, falls to the bottom of the vessel, and is withdrawn. The vapor travels upward at a design velocity which minimizes the entrainment...

P Trap Venting Problem [ 2 Answers ]

We are experiencing strong septic smells throughout our house once we drain the bathtub and I am wondering if it has something to do with the P Trap maybe running dry. If so - what do we need to do inorder to rectify this problem. We can access all our plumbing pipes in our crawlspace and plan to...

Drum Trap Replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, For the second time in a year, our bathtub drainage has become very slow. After the first incident, the plumbers snaked the line, which helped. Now, about a year later, the same problem persists, and a new plumber has told us we have a drum trap that needs to be replaced with a P trap. ...

View more questions Search