Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leahrs1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2010, 08:00 AM
    Humming noise in water pipes when water is running
    Whenever we flush the toilet, take a shower, or run the washing machine we hear a humming sound coming from the pipes while the water is running. Once the water is turned off the humming stops. This just started a week or so ago when I did a load of laundry on the hot setting. We have tried turning off the main water valve and draining the pipes in the house and then turning it back on, but this hasn't made the sound go away. I hear the sound the loudest at the gas hot water heater from the hot water line. What can we do to fix the noise?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 24, 2010, 08:29 AM

First, go around the house and Close and Open all angle stops. Also, Close and Open your main water valve in front of your house. Third, turn water ON, go outside and listen to your Pressure Regulator. Let me know how you did... Back to you... Milo
    Facetime Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 07:05 AM
    I just had a pressure regulator value installed inside my home on my main line Saturday, January 26. Before then, we did not hear this humming sound when the water is turned on or off. Can this be harmful to the water line? Can pipes burst? What can we do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Humming noise in water pipes [ 6 Answers ]

Whenever we run water in the house there is a humming sound about 30 seconds after water is turned off. It sounds like a water pump running, but we have city water. Seems to only happen in summer not when weather cools down. How much trouble am I in? Thanks! Hinsdale

Humming noise when water is running [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had a pressure reducing valve replaced. Since then I hear a humming or even a howling sound whenever I turn on any water source. Even when the toilet is filling, it hums or howls. As soon as I turn the water off, the sound stops. The sound is loud. I checked the pressure and it is...

Shower pipes make loud vibrating/humming noise with hot water turned on [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I had my basement renovated recently (this year) and now have a problem with the shower pipes making loud noises. When I turn on the hot water in the shower and let it run for approx 20-30 seconds, a loud noise emerges (reflects a fog horn). I can feel the vibration of the pipes. ...

Banging noise in hot water pipes - water running or not [ 2 Answers ]

What could cause banging noise in hot water pipe lines whether the water is running or not? The noise happens when the hot water is turned ON wherever in a two level house. The banging noise also happens when NO faucet is running. We have installed an expansion tank above the gas water...

Constant running water noise, old water softener pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

When we bought our house, it came with a decommissioned water softener in the laundry room. The pipes behind it (I'm assuming in and out) were capped off with plastic plugs that toggle back and forth. If you're familiar with Dr. Dolittle, I'd call it a pushmi-pullyu setup. (sorry, I'm an admin, not...

View more questions Search