Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbooker4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2010, 10:38 PM
    What can I put in the bathtub to stop the water from draining while I take a bath?
    Every time I get ready to fill the water in the tub, you can see the water going down slowly and eventually if I wait around too long my water will be drained all out from my tub. I have a little chip on the outer part on the metal part, it's not the part that you lift. The maintenance guy at my apartment complex keeps saying that there is nothing wrong, when there is clearly a problem. Is there something to put over the drain or a sealer?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2010, 11:20 PM

I'd say do the test yourself first. Fill to a certain level and ut a piece of tape at the water line. Find out how long you have to wait for it to drain 1/4".

Have the maintenance guy come over and watch and time.

The seal isn't made in the drain, it's made in the pipe. The flipper plate comes off and you can pull the bell up and there is an adjustment there. It's tricky to get right.

Some flat stoppers MAY work for you. It depends on the contour of the tub.

Do the test and report back with your findings. Hopefully, someone will post a picture of the mechanism.

A video how to do it is here: How to Fix a Bathtub Drain Stopper | Video | Tub | Bathrooms | This Old House

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water from Bath room sink running into Bathtub [ 8 Answers ]

The water from my bathroom sink is draining into my bathtub. I have tried snaking the tub through overflow, tried snake through J tubing under sink but can't get far. I even tried chemicals and nothing seems to work. Is there some sort of secret, or technique that I am not doing correctly to...

Cold water supply pipe under sink won't stop draining [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I had a faucet leaking from the spout. I turned off the water at the main line outside my house, turned off the valve stops, and took the stem to Lowe's to replace it. Found out faucet is too old for repair parts. I bought a new faucet, also stainless steel mesh supply lines and new valve...

Hot water does not stop coming out of the bathtub [ 4 Answers ]

About 2 weeks ago the hot water was pouring out of the bathtub even though the handle was closed. I changed the hot water stem, washer and seat. The washer was chewed up and the end of the stem was pretty badly damaged. About 2 weeks later I was having the same problem, only the water was not...

Bathtub draining slowly , tried to fix, not draining at all now [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my first time here. My upstairs bathtub was draining slowly, a plumber here to snake the cesspool suggested something. First off, it is the big one piece fiberglass shower/tub fixture. I think it's a really common & standard setup, nothing fancy. I took the sifter plate off the...

Washer water draining into bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

Doing laundry tonight I heard the distinct sound of water draining, a sound I don't normally hear. I walked into the bathroom and saw my toilet and bathtub full of the dirty clothes washer water. What could be wrong? The weather is in the 40's so no frozen pipes. There has been construction...

View more questions Search