Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 03:16 AM
    Toilet won't flush.
    I poured some of my rodent cage litter to flush down the drain and it absorbed the water and plugged the bowl. I plunged and plunged and eventually opened the drain, but now it won't flush. The flap in the bottom of the tank opens but no water empties into the bowl. I think I might have pushed some of the litter into the holes where the water comes down from the tank into the bowl. At least that's the only thing I can think of. Is there any way to clear this up? Or is there anything else it can be? I have to flush the toilet with a bucket of water poured into the bowl for now. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Steve
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 29, 2006, 07:23 AM
    Hey Steve,
    I guess I don't have to tell you that dumping a litter box into your toilet wasn't the swiftest thing you've ever done. You are probably correct that instead of plunging the mess out in the main that you foe\rced it up into the flush valve and bowl rim.
    What you're going to hafta do now is shut the water off to the toilet and remove the tank. Take a wire and force it around the rim and attempt to break up the clumps that are clogging the rim and the flush valve opening. Pull as much of the litter out as you can and try to clear the flush valve opening in the bowl. Stick the wire up in the rim holes to make sure they're clear. Once you have most of it removed pour water down the open hole in the bowl to test it out. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet will not flush completely [ 26 Answers ]

Hi, I had just found this forum and this is my first post. My elderly parents live in a 2 story old home with two bathrooms, one on each floor. The toilet on the ground level flushes fine. The one upstairs will not flush solids without filling up a bucket of water and emptying it in the toilet....

Toilet flush [ 17 Answers ]

I flushed the toilet, the water goes down from the tank, but it swirls around and around in the toilet bowl but does not flush. What is the problem. Help.

Toilet will not completely flush [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced all the insides of my toilet, now when I flush I have to hold the handle down until all the water runs out of the bowl. If not almost as soon as I let the handle go the flapper will cover up the hole that drains the water into the bowl. I know this is easily fixable, but I don't...

Brand new toilet won't flush... [ 4 Answers ]

I hope someone can tell me what else to try. I am redoing a bathroom in a 50 year cabin. The old toilet flushed strong, but there was a "gurgling" in the other drains. When I removed the old toilet I replaced the flange. The old flange had 3" pvc inserted into the 4" cast drain with some...

Random toilet flush [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: Hope someone can help. Have ~ 50 yr old toilet with relatively new flapper valve and fill valve that were replaced a year or so ago and toilet worked OK. About two weeks ago toilet would not flush completely and paper etc. would stay in the bowl. When not working, water would slowly...

View more questions Search