Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lhh2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 06:47 AM
    Can we have the shower drain into a sump pump?
    We are adding a bathroom in the basement and would like to install a shower. Half way through the process we realized the shower is to tall to use the upflush system we purchased. The alternative is to have the shower drain into the sump pump we use for the washing machine. Is that okay?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 26, 2010, 07:02 AM

The alternative is to have the shower drain into the sump pump we use for the washing machine. Is that okay?
    It may not be in code but it will work.
    A sump pump's designed to discharge seepage from ground water. I have concerns about a sump pump handling the lint, hair, grease and fiber form a washer and shower. I would clean the pit often to prevent the impeller from getting clogged. Good luck, Tom
    dlockhart Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 02:57 PM
    I'm using a sump pump now because my drain field has failed and in the meantime until I can get $6.000 to get it replaced, and it worked great until it started sucking up grease. When that happened I was stuck with a clogged shower and had to use my wet dry vac until 1am.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install drain tile and sump pump [ 3 Answers ]

Can any one tell me how to install drain tile and sump pump pit.I know it is a lot of work but I have the ability and crew just need instructions

Sump pump drain back up? [ 18 Answers ]

My basement has flooded with sewage a couple of time in the past year and there is a constant bad smell coming from the drain. The only drain I have in my basement is the one for the sump pump and that is where the sewage backs into. I have snaked it out about 50 feet and it has worked both times...

Sump pump, where to drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I don't know much about sump pumps and would like some advice. Here's the background. I bought this house a month ago. It was built in 1993. I noticed the sump was draining under the deck and not away from the house. I pulled the boards off the side of the deck to investigate. There...

Sump pump, discharge drain and city drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I've 2 problems. Problem 1: When it rains, there seem to be a lot of water discharging out from the overflow pipe of my sump pump plumbing on the outside. According to a neighbor, he says it looks like the water is just coming out from the overflow pipe whenever it rains. I've lived...

Washer drain to sump pump [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My washing machine drain pipe drains into my sump pump and sets the pump off constantly, can I connect this drain into a different line and if so what do I need to do? Any suggestions would be great, thanks

View more questions Search