Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frazwood Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2010, 05:23 AM
    We own a two-story home (plus a full-basement) that was built in 1995. We've lived in the home for the past 7 years, but we've noticed this problem in the last two years.

If we are running water in the bathtub on the second floor and we flush another toilet on the second floor at the same time, we hear a relatively loud groaning sound for 3-4 seconds.

And idea what is causing this noise?

Should we be avoiding flushing the toilet while running the bath? (FYI: this would be rather inconvenient, as we have two toddlers so we take a lot of baths and there is a rather substantial need to flush the toilet while the bath water is running).

I am hoping to get a response to this e-mail. I realize that a full diagnosis is probably going to be difficult, but a few ideas of what could be the problem would be helpful.

Thanks in advance. Y'all are the best!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 23, 2010, 10:46 AM
    My guess is that bthe sound you hear is coming from the ballcock. Which one is yours. (see images). Let me kinow, Tom
    Attached Images

frazwood Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Feb 27, 2010, 06:07 AM

Sorry for the slow reply (it's been really busy).

I don't think the toilet is the location of the noise (this is new information).

Here's why: Last night, I flushed the toilet in the basement after the bath had finished running. Just as the tank of the toilet finished filling, I heard the noise again and it was definitely coming from upstairs.

It's almost like air is getting in the supply lines or something like that and it's belching out.

FYI: The basement toilet is like the one on the left; the other toilets are like the one on the right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After flushing toilet or turning on water there is a loud humming noise [ 2 Answers ]

After flushing the toilet and the tank fills up or if I turn on any sink water the pipes in the basement make a loud humming like noise. As soon as I turn off or the toilet stops filling the noise stops. This just started 2 days ago. Any thought...

Water running in toilet at weird times [ 2 Answers ]

Both of my toilets have recently started making weird noises and the water will start running like it is filling the tank, but the water level doesn't rise. This can happen in the middle of the night when no one has used the toilet for hours or at any time. Any ideas?

Weird fix for new toilet not flushing completely. [ 2 Answers ]

We're in the middle of several interlocking projects here, with one of the simpler ones being a toilet bowl replacement. After about three weeks of flawless operation it just refused to flush completely. The water would slowly change out, but even a piece of tissue paper was hard to get to got...

Toilet Noise after flushing [ 5 Answers ]

The first level toilet makes a lot of noise after flushing, right as it is about finished filling up, lots of banging, and it's just getting worse as time goes on. After looking this up a bit it sounds like it is water hammer. A couple of things to consider- 1. I live in a two story condo that...

Noise when flushing toilet and when running water [ 1 Answers ]

I have humming noise (seems to be getting louder) when I flush the toilet and when I run water into the bath and into the kitchen sink. I read a reply to a similar problem about looking at the regulator.. What is a regulator? Many thanks!

View more questions Search