Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dana673 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 01:07 PM
    Build basement shower base
    I have roughed in plumbing in my basement and want to build a shower. I have it framed and am ready to install 8 inch boards between my studs as barrier for the base. I wan tto pour a concrete (sloped) base on top of the concrete floor. Then mastik for the tiles of the floor. Do I need any membrane between the basement floor and the concrete shower base ? My walls will be cement board. Do I need rubber membrane on the walls or is it sufficient if I use Kurdi in just the corners before Tiling ?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 11, 2010, 04:27 PM
    Hi Dana...

You definitely want a membrane between the cement and the concrete floor for your shower.

It is a bit of work to do all of it correctly, however. For example, the floor at the shower would need to be prepitched using a cement mixture so that the water that gets down to the pan will drain via weepholes in the drain assembly. If no prepitched floor the shower floor could collect water and start to grow mold and smell, etc.

After the prepitched cement dries you would lay a layer of tar paper down and then lay the membrane in place and secure.

Install the drain assembly and then you should test the pan for water tightness by plugging the drain and filling the pan to the threshold with water for 24 hours. If no leaks you could then pour the floor and tile/grout the floor.

Check out how this guy did his job:

http://www.hoagy.org/house/HowToBuildShowerPan.html

This should be a good starting point.

In terms of the walls, are any of the walls going to be on the foundation wall or are these interior basement walls? Let me know as the answer changes according to this info.

Finally, they make some pretty cool prefab. floors. Check them out at: www.swanstone.com

Let us know what you think...

MARK
    Dana673 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 12:25 PM

The walls are all interior using durarock - or something like that. I haven't picked that out yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Build Shower Platform & Install Above Ground P-Trap in Basement Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this site. I tried to find the answer in previous posts and did find some great info, but I still have some questions :) This is what I want to do: Install a corner shower with dimensions 36" in x 36" in the basement, build a platform, & add an above ground p-trap. ...

Build a shower base on concrete floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys. Newbie to this website, but it looks as though it's my answer. I've got a spare bathroom in the basement that I'm installing a neo-angle shower. The catch is that the builder plumbed the bath with the drain and water inlets coming from the wall for a claw foot tub... no drain in the...

Shower enclosure base in basement [ 5 Answers ]

I had a shower enclosure installed in my basement as part of additional work performed after reconstruction of a fire. (Something nobody should have to go through. We are 18 months from the original event & 12 months from moving back in.) As a result of the main basement drain being moved and...

Prefab shower base for basement [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all! Totally new at this... help! Tore out old free standing shower unit in basement. It was tied into the concrete drain with a simple 2' pvc pipe. I'm replacing it soon, but newer styles have "fins" or reinforcements on bottom of base which means I need to build a platform. I'm really not...

Removing shower base in basement [ 6 Answers ]

We are replacing a shower in the basement 32 x 48. We finally got the base off by cutting around it to get it out because the center drain connection was so attached we couldn't remove it any other way. I have photos attached. We are chiseling away now to get to the bottom of this brass drain...

View more questions Search