Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blondax Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 06:36 PM
    Pvc pipe drain repair
    I tried to fix 2 small holes in my 4" pvc drain pipe by cutting out a section of pipe and installing a coupler from HomeDepot. I got the coupler onto the bottom section of the vertical drain pipe, but by the time I wrestled the top part into position, the coupler was fixed - and I mean fixed - in place on the bottom.
    I now have a stuck coupler.
    Can I now cut the coupler off and get a longer one and retry this process? I'm wondering how long a coupler can be, or if there is maybe some simpler way to get this done. The gap in the drain pipe is now about an inch and a half. When I saw off the coupler that I idiotically stuck on, it will be more like 3 inches. Is there anything you can suggest?
    Thanks.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2010, 08:53 PM

What kind of a coupler did you use, and when you cut out the holes did it leave a gap between the two ends.

My guess is that your best way to repair this is to buy a fernco adapter and use it to join the two pipes together. It is a neopreen adapter that will slip down over the bottom pipe and slip back up on the upper pipe. This adapter will be about five inches long and have stainless clamps on it.
    blondax Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 10:58 PM

Thanks Lemetellu. I used a pvc coupler that's 3 1/4 inches long. The gap between the upper and lower drain pipe is about 2 inches, which was necessary to fit the coupler in the gap.
    Will the fernco adaptor you suggest work with a gap of 2 - 3 inches? I'll track one down tomorrow if I can.
    Thanks again for the quick response. Much appreciated. Happy New Year.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2010, 08:56 PM

Yes the adapter should work for you very well.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 7, 2010, 06:45 AM
    Hi Blondax...

Letmetellu has you on the right track.

However, if you have absolutely no movement in the pipes you may need to purchase 2 fernco couplings (see image), or at a minimum, a new PVC coupling and a fernco coupling to join the pipes back together.

I would suggest that you cut the pipe so you have about a 6 inch gap, if possible, and then slide the fernco coupling up and over the pipe so it doesn't intefere with work area. Then you can either measure the piece and prime/cement it to the new PVC coupling and then prime/cement the coupling onto the pipe and kind of SNAP it into place and then pull the fernco coupling down over the pipes to join them. Or, you could slide 2 ferncos over the pipe ends so they are out of the way and then cut a piece that fits in between the pipe nicely and then simply slide both fernco couplings into place and tighten them up.

Both scenarios work well.. ;)

Back to you..

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PVC drain pipe [ 4 Answers ]

When tearing down my wall in my kitchen, I broke the pvc drain pipe to the kitchen sink. I broke it in half. How do I fix it. Is there some kind of repair clamp that I can use to replace the other half of pvc pipe that I broke off.

PVC suction pipe leak repair from the inside [ 1 Answers ]

I have a PVC suction pipe line, buried, from my pond to to the motor... It appears to have an 'air' leak... What material and process(an inserted/water sealed in place (internal liner) or liquid sealer material would be great) can be use to repair any/all air leaks in the line with out first doing...

Pvc pipe hole repair [ 15 Answers ]

How ca?n I repair a 1/4' hole in pvc pipe from a pool filter

How to repair a drilled hole in pvc pipe? [ 5 Answers ]

How to repair a drilled hole in pvc pipe?

View more questions Search