Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dave connor Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2006, 06:21 AM
    I am planning to replace the cast iron sewer line in the basement floor. The house is older and the drainage lines to the cast clean out are 3 inch copper adapted to the cast at the clean out unit.

I see no problem connecting the 3 inch copper to 3 inch ABS before the new clean out, and connecting the ABS down the line to the old Cast. I presume this should be done with sleeve connectors.

I would like to install a new floor drain and P trap and would like to know the correct positioning of these.

Currently the old existing cast floor drain (plugged solid) is Y'd away from the sewer line and I would expect there is a P trap somewhere underneath.

I would also be installing a Backwater Valve at the same time.

:cool: :cool:

A floor drain has a built in trap. Any floor drain will do. To check out floor drain flood protectors,(see image) click on; http://www.plumbingsupply.com/floodguard.html
    Good luck, Tom

Floor drain info was helpful--tks.
    However I would like to know the proper sequence of installation of the new ABS adapting to cast sewer line and the placement of floor drain and backwater valve, and if a P Trap is required.

Also I have to adapt the newly installed ABS cleanout to the older 3 inch copper stack.

Any info would be helpful.

Tks. Dave.
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 14, 2006, 01:40 PM
    "I would like to know the proper sequence of installation of the new ABS adapting to cast sewer line and the placement of floor drain and backwater valve, and if a P Trap is required.
    Also I have to adapt the newly installed ABS cleanout to the older 3 inch copper stack."

Now I'm confused. Please explain in detail exactly what cast iron fitting you wish to come off to convert to a ABS what? Pipe? Floor drain? (As I've stated, floor drains have built in traps).
    As for the cleanout you haven't given me any details to work with. Is the connection vertical? Horizontal? In the wall? Floor? Connect what to what. Hub to bald end? Hub to hub? Sorry, I simply don't have enough to work with here. Regards, Tom
    dave connor Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 05:28 PM
    Cast replacement
    OK here goes -- this is how the system runs at present. The 3 inch vertical stack is copper. It is approximately 5 feet high and is connected at the base to a cast clean out
    Fitting. Approximately 5 feet downstream from this is a cast Y (installed horizontal and an old cast floor drain is located here. ( all plugged up). Not sure if there is a P trap in this connection or not Then the cast pipe (3 inch) continues on out to the sewer. I wish to install ABS connecting to the 3 inch copper stack, install a ABS clean out Y a floor drain and a Backwater valve--then connect to the old 3 inch cast. Dave.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron shower drain in concrete floor-replacement [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first post here and I'd appreciate any help you can provide. I have a tiled shower on a concrete slab. The drain is cast iron... sort of a bowl-shaped 3" dia. opening with a lead seal to a 2"-2 1/4" cast iron pipe. In removing the old "Premier" pull-up drain stopper, the brass...

Cast iron problem [ 1 Answers ]

Problem-- mortar, thin set and/ or grout got poured in tub drain on 4th floor and hardened. Can not get material to break free. Went into ceiling on 3rd floor and found 1 1/2" Pipe going to tub with cast iron pipe going into chase. WHAT IS EASIEST WAY TO REMOVE P-TRAP

Cast Iron movement [ 8 Answers ]

My son and I have decided to build out a bathroom in our basement. With some advice of others we're doing pretty good but now we've gotten to fitting the toilet and shower drains to what our design it. All along we thought we had PVC drains but they turn out to be Cast Iron. Both have a pipe...

Cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, What is the best way to repair a leaking tub drain that connects to cast iron main drain? Thank you, Jen

How to remove cast iron [ 6 Answers ]

I have some sewage pipes in my basement that I have to remove because one of them is cracking and leaking. The problem is that I can't get the joints apart. Does anyone know how to remove the sealing compound for old cast iron pipes. They were put in around 1945 so I am pretty sure that there is...

View more questions Search