Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    axelworks Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 04:30 PM
    Hole in basement cement, but no pipe for draining Tub.
    Howdy all,

Here’s my problem: I have an 8” x 8” hole in the basement that was not cemented with the rest of the floor. I believed I would find a drain for the tub (because the location seems reasonable, and waste plumbing is already in place for a toilet and sink.)
    However, upon digging down over 14”, I still haven’t found a pipe of any sort. Is there a purpose for this mystery hole??

Could I possibly use an adjacent vent/clean-out looking pipe for the drain?

See Picture.

Thanks
    -Axelworks
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 14, 2006, 08:35 AM
    Sure looks like a tub dap-out to me. Did you dig out instead of down and hunt for a horizontal pipe that you could connect a trap to? The average measure for a tub raiser is 15 1/2" out from the wall and 1 1/2 " out from the front plate. Look again and let me know. Tom

Nov 15, 2006, 06:55 PM
    Tom,

I checked the location of the hole: The leading edge is 23" from the unfinished cement wall, and the far edge is 32" from the wall.

I dug into the sides a bit more like you suggested, but still found no horizontal pipes. How deep can these things be if there is one?

Also, in the picture, you see another pipe sticking up from the floor to the ceiling. It runs back to the far wall and ties into the main drain line. Could I possibly use this as the tub drain?

Thanks
    -A
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2006, 08:21 PM
    Is this a fairly new house? If so you may be able to find someone with a set of plans that would show how they had planned to lay out the bathroom in the basement.
    If I were you I would dig toward the concrete wall, like Tom said the drain should be about 15 1/2 inches from the concrete wall if that is the way they had planned to lay out the tub.
    About the pipe sticking up and running to the ceiling, tis is probably for the tub drain, I am not sure why else it would be there. If it is the vent for the tub then I think they had planned to have a wall there to cover up the pipe so in that case maybe the tup was going to be against that wall making the drain 15 1/2 inches from that wall.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 15, 2006, 11:45 PM
    I'd dig toward that vertical pipe. Since it has a clean out I believe it's a drain from upstairs and if it is you will have to vent anything that connects to it. Try to locate the plumber that put the job in. Short of a set of as-built plans that's your best bet. Good luck, Tom

Nov 17, 2006, 06:53 AM
    This house was built 25 years ago. As far as plumbing blueprints - would there be a copy at the county courthouse, chamber of commerce,?

The pipe that rises from the floor takes a 90 in the ceiling, travels toward the back wall, and ties into a bigger ABS drain pipe ( please see pics)

With this being the case, could one cut this pipe near the cleanout, and use it as the tub drain? Then place re-route the vent to tie back into this existing run?

Thanks
    -Ax
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain hole in tub rusted and too big [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Plumbing Geniuses, I have a bath tub that looks like it has been leaking for years at the tub drain. Consequently, the hole in the bottom of the tub is rotten and rusted around the edges, and bigger than it should be. The new drain replacement will not fit securely and there could be...

Hole in bath tub [ 1 Answers ]

I Have a small hole in the bottom of the bath tub just above the water drain is there some kind of putty I could use to repair this

AC is draining out of the overflow pipe [ 4 Answers ]

What would cause my AC to drained out of the overflow pipe?

Tub draining causes toilets to gurgle [ 1 Answers ]

Have a issue with drainage. Live in East Tenn with high clay. This is the problem... family of five. When it's bed time and bath tub is half full, drainage causes both toilets to gurgle. House bought 2 yrs ago built 1978 (had 2 people living in it ) and everything was great until last NOV. when the...

Tub is the only system not draining properly [ 3 Answers ]

Our house is an older house (ca. 1955) on a septic system. We bought the house and moved in back in late March of this year, when the septic system should have been pumped by the previous owners. We're currently having issues with our bathtub not draining properly. All of our other drains are...

View more questions Search