Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ljohnston Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2004, 06:06 PM
    Sump pump volume calculation
    I'm currently trying to solve a sump pump capacity problem. I never have water in basket except in very bad 5+ inches of rain in short periods 1/2 day or less. Then it comes so fast It is almost impossible to keep up with.

I'm planning on installing a new Zoeller pump capable of 93 gpm with 10 foot head. My question is is there a simple calcualtion for how much volume per minute I will use when I have to install a 45 degree or 90 degree elbow in my 2 inch run?

Help would be much appreciated. 1/2 hp unit capable of the volumes descrived above.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2004, 08:59 PM
    Re: Sump pump volume calculation
    Not really. A 90 elbow is considered to add 5 pipe diameters to the length of the pipe. A 2'' pipe with one elbow should have about the same restriction as a straight pipe 10'' longer. The actual is a bit messy. Two points, use the longer radius DWV elbows if you can find them. To really make sure, go up a pipe size. In high speed water, a 1'' pipe would have 32 times as much restriction as a 2''. The only thing to watch is to make sure you have more restriction on the outlet than the inlet. Otherwise the pump may cavitate and destroy itself. That is the suction is enough to boil the water and unbalance the pump with pockets of water vapor. Go for the biggest practical pipe size. If you get a horrible vibration in the pump when you check it, shut it off and add a restriction to the end of the discharge.
    oregon renter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 10:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    If you get a horrible vibration in the pump when you check it, shut it off and add a restriction to the end of the discharge.
    Hi, sorry to tack on to someone else's question, but this sounds like what our problem might be. We've just rented a place on a hill with a sump pump. I know NOTHING about sump pumps and hadn't even heard of them until yesterday, however; here goes:

There is a pit in the ground where the pump obviously is. There is a pipe running straight up from the pump and through the house. I don't know how high the pipe goes, but I assume it goes all the way to the roof? The pump runs every couple minutes or so (apparently the is a small river running under our house) we're told this is normal during the winter months. Anyway, my problem is the noise. Every couple minutes the pump turns on and we can hear the sound of the motor all the way up in the second story. I'm afraid I will never learn to fall asleep to this noise and vibration. Is the noise and slight vibration going all the way from under the basement through the top of the house normal? And if so, how can we deaden it? And if not, what might be wrong?

If the above quote applies to my problem, what in a restriction and what is the discharge?
    oregon renter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 10:58 PM
    Sump pump noise/vibration
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by labman
    "If you get a horrible vibration in the pump when you check it, shut it off and add a restriction to the end of the discharge."

Hi, sorry to tack on to someone else's question, but this sounds like what our problem might be. We've just rented a place on a hill with a sump pump. I know NOTHING about sump pumps and hadn't even heard of them until yesterday, however; here goes:

There is a pit in the ground where the pump obviously is. There is a pipe running straight up from the pump and through the house. I don't know how high the pipe goes, but I assume it goes all the way to the roof? The pump runs every couple minutes or so (apparently the is a small river running under our house) we're told this is normal during the winter months. Anyway, my problem is the noise. Every couple minutes the pump turns on and we can hear the sound of the motor all the way up in the second story. I'm afraid I will never learn to fall asleep to this noise and vibration. Is the noise and slight vibration going all the way from under the basement through the top of the house normal? And if so, how can we deaden it? And if not, what might be wrong?

If the above quote applies to my problem, what in a restriction and what is the discharge?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sump pump [ 10 Answers ]

I recently bought a new house and was wondering if the sump pump draining into the main drain instead of on its own drain to outside the house is a problem? I have never had a sump pump before and was curious because we get a sewage smell inside our bathroom every once in awhile on the first floor...

Installing a 2 sump pump system [ 1 Answers ]

I got a client asking me how I can install a 2 sump pump system in case one fails or the power goes out Anyone can send me some pictures how to do so please the job needs to be done tomorrow It would be nice to get good detail how to install the 2 pumps Submersible only ...

Sump Pump popping [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a new house and the sump pump and or lines make strong popping bang every time we use the washer and it's draining or we are using several drains, the contractor says its normal I don't think so. Any ideas? It has been doing it seen we moved in ( a month)

Overactive sump pump [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a new house last Oct. I found I had an over active sump pump. The pump works every few hours in dry season and maybe every min. or so in heavy rain season. The water in the pit is crystal clear, no odor. Can someone tell me the reason? How can I fix this ? Should I just raise the pump? ...

Volume calculation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all my memory seems to be failing me, its been some years since I needed to calculate volumes. Here goes. I am trying to calculate a comparison of the following The volume of a 1 tonne solid product at a relative density of 1.4 What is the answer and is it in meters cubed? Also the volume...

View more questions Search