Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tag_your_it Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 06:03 AM
    Cold Water in Shower won't completely turn off! Help!
    We are brand new home owners so we don’t have a lot of know how so forgive us for asking stupid questions. We bought this house about 3 years ago it was build around the mid-70s and is a Fox and Jacob home. The master bathroom only has a shower with 2 handles, sink and a toilet in it and none of the fixtures have brand names so I will do my best to describe things to you. I read for a while on the site looking for the answers but was unsuccessful, so forgive me if these questions are redundant.

1. Where is the water shut off valve? I know there is one under the toilet and one under the sink, but how do I shut off the shower water?
    2. The cold water handle won’t shut all the way off so it leaks. We tried to unscrew the handle, but the screw is stripping. Is there a trick to unscrewing this screw to remove the handle? I read on this site that the metal wall plate must be removed, is that before or after the handle is removed?
    3. I assume since the handle won’t tighten enough to shut the cold water off that the shower knobs (cold/hot) need to be replaced, is this true or could it simply be the washer is worn out?

Thanks and I eagerly await your reply as my water drips away. Actually it’s not a drip anymore its more of a slow steady stream and you can even hear the faint sound of the water rushing through the pipe escaping the showerhead almost as if we forgot to turn off the water. I hope these details were good enough. Please provide as detailed of directions as possible due to us being brand new at do it yourself projects but we really can’t afford a plumber so we need to try to fix it on our own.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2006, 07:30 AM
    The shut offs should be below the knobs near the floor, perhaps behind the dry wall like mine. I can't even guarantee there are any if you bash a hole in the dry wall. You may have to shut the main supply off. Problem is, that prevents water from cycling in and out of the hot water heater with temperature changes unless there is an expansion tank. If not, cut off the electricity or turn the gas to pilot. Opening a hot water tap too is a good idea.

Try giving the screw a few taps with a hammer. You can also use a punch too tapping it in the direction the screw needs to go. With the knob in the full open position, you may even be able slip a wrench in and remove the insides knob and all. A last resort is to break or cut the knob away. Once you have the thing off, if it has a washer, you can buy assortments of them anywhere. Otherwise, take it to a good hardware such as the local Ace Hardware I use. They should have a wide variety of cartridges to fit most brands, and somebody to help you pick out the right one. They will also have new knobs.
    princesspeach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2013, 03:04 PM
    I am having the same trouble as the persons above my cold water won't shut off and it is now a slow steady stream... the difference is I live in an apartment and can not get a hold of the land lady, so what do I do? She does not like us to go over her head with like going to the city and see if they can help and we can not afford a plumber... any ideas.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2013, 03:58 PM
    Most double handle faucets do not have separate shut off valves, you shut off the house water. The handles can have some corrosion and that makes them stick. Once you get the handle off, you will probably unscrew the handle trim plate off, open the handle slightly and unscrew the stem. The washer is probably bad. Don't be surprised if the faucet seat needs smoothing or replacement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Diverter - Hot/cold handles hard to turn [ 4 Answers ]

My shower has the standard 3 (not sure of brand) valve set up. All of the valve handles are very hard to turn and I am wondering is there a way of loosening any part of the stems to reduce the tension? I am not sure but I think a long time ago I read that when the stems are installed in a closed...

Hampton Bay Remote Won't Completely Turn Off Light [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just purchased two Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Remotes (Transmitter/Receiver). Model: 191-707. I wired one up in my living room and the other in the kitchen. I was able to turn my lights on/off and my fan too. They worked great or so I thought. When it got dark out I noticed that with the...

No cold water through the shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello my friends - I hope someone can help me. My problem - There is no cold water coming from my shower. There is hot water, but no cold. There is cold water coming from all the other taps in the house. The shower is a 'power' shower which has both cold + hot pipes feeding into the shower...

Can't turn off hot water in shower [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get the valve out to replace the washer in a 30 year old house? I thought I could open it all the way and screw it out but it doesn't want to come out. Am I doing it wrong or is there a trick? Don't want to bust the old copper pipe in the wall if I can help it. Thanks!

View more questions Search