Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lakelot Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Shower drain is too high
    I recently installed a new shower. The base was installed on a level wooden floor. The problem I have is the drain is 1/8th inch too high causing water to stand in the shower. What did I do wrong and how can I fix this?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 07:20 PM

Can you post a picture of what you have? Is this an acrylic pan or mud? Is you drain a 2" PVC and is the floor area open under this drain?
    xcountry292 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 07:26 PM
    Is the hole that you cut in the floor to bring the pipe up, big enough for the entire shower drain assembly or just the pipe? A 6 inch hole is needed. Let me know
    Good luck

Nov 17, 2009, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xcountry292 View Post
    is the hole that you cut in the floor to bring the pipe up, big enough for the entire shower drain assembly or just the pipe? A 6 inch hole is needed. let me know
    good luck
    I cut the hole the size of the pipe. By cutting the hole bigger will this let the drain drop lower?

Nov 17, 2009, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Can you post a picture of what you have?? Is this an acrylic pan or mud? Is you drain a 2" PVC and is the floor area open under this drain?
    It is an acrylic pan. I only drilled a hole big enough for the pipe which is pvc.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 09:35 PM

Post a photo of it please, so we can give you more precise advise. Thank you..
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 18, 2009, 06:46 AM
    Is this your drain,(see image)? If it is did you place the rubber gasket under the drain lip or beneath the shower floor? Let me know, Yom

Nov 18, 2009, 08:56 AM

I put the gasket under the drain lip.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 09:06 AM
    Hi Lakelot...

The rubber gasket belongs on the underneth of the shower... not on the top... ;)

The top gets silicone sealant and the neoprene washer and the fiber or cardboard washer (usually present as well) go underneath. Let dry 24-48 hours or as recommended by sealant directions.

See image.

MARK
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 10:04 AM

Lakelot: as Mark already pointed out that gasket belongs under the pan.. To correct it you will have to get under the pan, remove the drain, install the gasket underneath and reinstall the pan. Big job... just to say the least...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 18, 2009, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lakelot View Post
    I put the gasket under the drain lip.
    Matk and Milo gave you a very good explanation of what went wrong and how to correrct it. Follow their directions an d you'll be just fine. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Drain Install Using Sink Drain Pipe In Wall [ 2 Answers ]

A Feasibility Question: Can a shower drain system be installed utilizing an existing sink drainpipe that is in the wall without raising the shower base above the height of the sink drainpipe location? Some sort of pump or flow system to lift the water for draining? If so, any suggestions as to...

Steps to convert basement toilet drain to shower drain [ 2 Answers ]

I want to convert a basement toilet drain to a shower drain. Is it a job that a do it yourselfer can do? If no- who do I hire-a plumber or a contractor? What would be a high end estimate of the cost to hire someone in New York? Also, sitting on the floor about a foot directly in front of the...

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search