Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firsttimerfixer Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 09:49 AM
    How to take out shower pan and not damage drain
    Hi,

I am trying to remove this old shower pan without damaging the drain. I can not tell from looking at it how it is fastened to the pan or to the floor beneath the pan. When I pry up the pan a little bit, the drain seems to move with it. However, I didn't want to go too far for fear of messing up the drain.

Can someone tell me how to remove this pan without messing up the drain?
    Attached Images

xcountry292 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 05:29 PM
    It appears that your shower base is made of concrete, if that is true with a hammer and a cold chisel bust up the concrete 4 to 6 inches around the drain!
    Good luck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 06:28 PM

The more I look at that pan I don't think this is concrete. Tap on it with a hammer and I'll bet its really bad fiber glass or acrylic. You are trying to install a new shower pan and think you can save the old drain, I would not bother. You next shower pan will likely install much different than that old iron drain line. Tell us what you have planned and maybe we can help you as you get further into this project. I'd actually pick out the new pan now and see how it is supposed to be installed and connected to a drain.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 17, 2009, 09:43 PM

Hi there Firsttimerfixer, have bad news : That drain is incorrect for your installation. Cut it off right below the head and install the correct drain designed for hot mop installation. If you leave it and reinstall new pan - you may be redoing it two years later again.

Nov 18, 2009, 07:57 AM
    Hmmm... thanks for the advice. I'm starting to think this might not be a job for a "firsttimefixer!"
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 08:28 AM

This is the type of drain you need. It has 3 openings that allow condensation from under the concrete base to drain into the drain. Good luck. Milo
    Attached Images

Nov 18, 2009, 03:07 PM

Did we ever really establish that this is a mud pan, looks like terrible fiber glass to me.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 05:03 PM

From Photo #1 it appears to me it is a sub-floor with residue of asphalt paper or asphalt coating - after the pan was removed...

But of course, we will never find out unless the poster comes back and tells us... :D

Nov 18, 2009, 05:55 PM

You could be roght too. I did ask in post #3 for him to confirm.

Nov 20, 2009, 07:34 PM
    Hi again. The pan was actually made of some sort of lead or something strange like that. I was able to get most of it out using a reciprocating saw. There is a subfloor, with tar paper on top of that, then this weird lead shower pan thing. I some updated pictures, but I'm not sure if I can post them. I can't figure out how the rest of this pan is connected to this drain, but it seems to be permanently affixed to the drain.

Nov 20, 2009, 07:37 PM
    Here are the pictures... you can see how thick this pan is, made of some sort of metal.
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Nov 20, 2009, 10:01 PM

Sorry to say that... but if you plan on re-building your shower than that drain has to go... no way around it

Nov 21, 2009, 07:34 AM
    Thanks... I'm actually not trying to save the drain. When I said not damage the drain, I should have said, "not damage the pipes."

A couple of questions:

How do I get rid of the drain? Just cut it right under shower pan where it meets that black pipe? What do I cut it with?

To rebuild the shower, I see there are generally two options. You use use a pre-formed shower pan or you can use the liner/membrane, mortar mix, build the curb, etc. Which route should I go?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Correct way of installing a vinyl shower pan [ 12 Answers ]

What is the proper way to install a new vinyl shower pan? Is it wrong to screw through the pan and cement into the marine board on the wall side? Won't that cause leaks eventually? I read that nothing should be screwed in below 8" of the bottom of the wall. And is there a special screw that needs...

Damage to a shower tray [ 1 Answers ]

We have broken part of the outside of a shower tray which we believe is fibre glass. We have been told you can buy a bath repair kit that would do the job. Has anyone any information on this problem. John

Steps to convert basement toilet drain to shower drain [ 2 Answers ]

I want to convert a basement toilet drain to a shower drain. Is it a job that a do it yourselfer can do? If no- who do I hire-a plumber or a contractor? What would be a high end estimate of the cost to hire someone in New York? Also, sitting on the floor about a foot directly in front of the...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search