Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klop56 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 08:46 PM
    Leaking faucets
    I am having some plumbing problems and looking for a solution. For one thing, my faucets are leaking and I have replaced them, but they still leak. I think perhaps they are not tight enough. Anyway, I decided to check out the pipes through the back wall to see where the leak is - and much to my dismay - discovered that the bathtub drain into the ground appears to have shifted and my bathtub is now draining on the ground. (we do have some ground shifting in my area) I don't think this has been happening for very long. My house was built in the early 60s and it is a slab foundation, however, under the tub there is a hole about 2 feet by 2 feet. This is the area where the plumbing and drain goes into the ground. How does one repair the drain pipe so that goes into the drain pipe - instead of on the ground? The pipe is cast iron.
    Thanks for your assistance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 3, 2009, 08:44 AM

Faucets are leaking where, right at the nut below the handle or through the spout, like dripping. That 2x2 is a tub dap out and the drain is supposed to go down into the soil if you are on a slab. So you are saying when the tub drains you actually see the water pooling on the soil under the tub, right? If this is the case you will need to remove the tub or dig a pit in the place where you are looking at the dap[ out. I doubt that this is going to be a job for you to handle so call 3 plumbers and get their bids. See what they think is going on and maybe check your insurance coverage with your agent.

Nov 3, 2009, 10:38 AM
    My tub was dripping - water was coming out of the faucet. I bought a new stem and replaced it. I know how to do this as I have replaced washers many times and watched plumbers replace washers. This time, though, my handle was not turning on the water - it would not turn - so I bought a whole new stem. I replaced it - and water is dripping out of the actual cold handle when I turn it on - therefore I believe that I have not tightened it enough. I will probably turn off the water and work on it again to resolve the problem - or call a plumber to do it right.
    I wanted to look at the back of my plumbing to see where the leak was coming from. I cut a hole in the sheetrock and I can see dripping from the stem.
    There is a drain pipe from the tub - that extends down to another drain pipe in the ground. It appears that at one time they may have been connected - but now they are not. I think it is because of the house shifting.
    So - is the bath supposed to drain onto the soil or down this drain pipe in the ground?
    I have looked online for plumbing diagrams and have not found any that look like my plumbing (circa 1965). If I had more knowledge about what I was seeing - as in which pipe is supposed to go where - it would help.

Thanks again

Nov 3, 2009, 12:05 PM

A house would have to shift a few inches to cause what you describe. The water should go diredtly into the pipe with you never actually seeing any water. Those pipes should be connected

Nov 4, 2009, 07:14 PM
    Is it possible to post pictures? I took some pictures to show you - to see if you have a suggestion
    Thanks

Nov 4, 2009, 07:20 PM

Nov 4, 2009, 07:22 PM

Picture won't open, try posting again using 'Go Advanced"

Nov 4, 2009, 07:22 PM
    I am going to try and post a picture
    If it doesn't work - here is link to my flickr page

Flickr: sasweetie_67's Photostream

Nov 4, 2009, 07:26 PM

Goit the pics, doesn't look good. Difficult angle to see what materials were used but shielded Fernco coupling may be your best bet if you can get down there. Fernco Strong Back Flexible Repair Coupling, fernco, fernco coupling, Flexible Repair Coupling, Drain Pipe Strong Back Repair Coupling, Sewer Pipe Strong Back Repair Coupling, Waste Pipe Strong Back Repair Coupling, Plumbing Pipe Strong Back Flexible

Nov 4, 2009, 07:32 PM

I added a couple more pictures - one from a higher view and one up closer. It is a metal pipe.

Nov 4, 2009, 07:33 PM
    What is that pipe that is going vertical under the tub? (you can see it heading off)

Nov 4, 2009, 07:38 PM

I wonder if they sell that Fernco stuff here in Texas - thanks very much for your help.

Nov 4, 2009, 07:39 PM

OK picture #2 in the middle shower a chrome collar nut that should be all the way down and screwed onto the pipe in the ground. This has been out of wack for decades. Can you ger your hands into this area?

Nov 4, 2009, 07:43 PM

I gave you the Fernco website so you can buy on line or go to HD, Lowe's or even Menards if you have them in TX

Nov 4, 2009, 08:37 PM
    I added another picture - the chrome collar joins two pieces of pipe - the lower pipe is larger - it will not slide down (I wish it would because that would solve my problem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Faucets, Plumbers Putty, leaking faucet base, Silicon [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I installed my faucet base with silicon and now it has a small leak. I am unsure what how to fix it. Should I be using plumbers putty instead of silicon? Is silicon better than plumbers putty? I have been recommended the silicon over the plumbers putty. The only issue is the base...

Leaking Delta Ball Faucets [ 2 Answers ]

I have two: bathroom and kitchen sink. I understand how to take apart and repair with the exception that I do not know how to remove the chrome multi toothed ring. Does it unscrew and if so, how do you do so without damaging the chrome.

Plumbing faucets [ 1 Answers ]

We have no hot water throughout any hot water faucet. The cold water is fine. I can here the water heater on and warming water and if you open the valve on heater there is hot water. But, there is no water or preasure in faucets.

Leaking faucets in bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

I have replaced the washers in the bathtub faucets... twice... and they still leak! What can the problem be and how do I fix it? Please help!

Tub faucets [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to get the estuechon(flared shell) off tub faucets to replace the washers on the valve stems. They are threaded on and have corroded so badly that I cannot turn them to remove so I can get to the valves. Does anyone have ideas on how I might get these off without tearing them to...

View more questions Search