Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wadeofalltrades Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Oct 16, 2009, 06:18 PM
    Do I need to install a jet pump, a pressure tank and a holding tank?
    I have a new home with nothing but the 1inch well pipe stemed through the cellar wall. My house is not on town supply line. Do I need to install a jet pump that goes to the pressure tank which then sends water ot a holding tank? Or is the pressure tank by itself all that I would need? Or a combination of 2 of them? I have 2 full bathrooms kitchen sink, washer dryer. I would love some insight here. Also which brands and gallon sizes should I purchase? Thanks.

-Wade-
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 17, 2009, 03:46 AM
    Is this a new installation? Did you purchase it without a CO? What does the seller say? Let's have more details. Back to you, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 06:05 AM

You described your system but did not state the problem. Are you having pressure/volume problems? What are you trying to fix?
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 17, 2009, 06:27 AM
    jlisenbe,
    I think his problem is that he bought a house with no pump at all. Regards, Tom
    wadeofalltrades Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2009, 10:20 AM
    It is a new home. I did it myself. I will be having a well drilled later on that would connect to the 1 inch pipe from outside.

So looking to find out what the best way to get water to go throughout the house.

Is the jet pump for if you don't have a well pump installed?

Thanks guys
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 17, 2009, 11:00 AM
    How deep is the water table and what vkind of volume do you wish to produce? Let me know, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2009, 03:29 PM

The jet pump would be your primary and only pump. It's advantage is that it's above ground and is much easier to troubleshoot/replace. A submerged pump is actually in the well and is more efficient. To replace it, however, means pulling up the wellpipe, pump, and everything. Most people seem to prefer the submerged variety since it delivers water more efficiently and works at any depth. A jet pump can work to depths or 100' or so, but it loses its effectiveness rapidly as you get deeper.

Check out these sites for more info:

Single Line Jet Pumps & Water Wells, Explanation & Repair Advice

Water Pumps, Well Pumps, Submersible Pumps, Sump Pump, Goulds & Centrifugal Pumps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Steps to add air to well water pressure holding tank [ 7 Answers ]

My water tank is water logged and short cycling. I know I need to add air but I don't recall the exact steps and I don't want to damage the system. I think I have to turn off pump.. drain water until the tank is about half full and the air nozzle is above water level... use air pump to add air...

Install bladder tank and pressure switch far from pump [ 12 Answers ]

My well pump is about 150 yards from my home where I want to install a bladder tank and pressure switch in my basement. I have been told that I can not do this because of the distance to my pump. I have a submersible well pump and the only place I have to put the bladder tank is in my basement. ...

New well pump vs. New holding tank [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. This is our first house with a well & septic system. The well pump(submerged) is approximately 18 years old and has never been replaced to my knowledge. We are now experiencing very low interior house pressure when outside spigot is in use or when washing clothes, showering, etc....

Sewage pump clogs in holding tank [ 1 Answers ]

We have two new SK60 submersible sewage ejector pumps in our holding tank at a 28 room motel and they keep clogging up with things like plastic bags, string etc. . What can I do to prevent this?

Well pump takes 5 minutes to fill bladder holding tank [ 12 Answers ]

Last year we installed a new bladder holding tank. Pressure set at about 27 lb since pump turns on at 30LB. After installation pump was running a long time to fill pressure tank. If drawing water from multiple sources at one time once pressure dropped and pump went on it could not supply enough...

View more questions Search