Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 02:34 AM
    Toggle Switch Rated for Tools. Six Connection Points. How Come?
    Hi, All!

I just bought a new, generic switch for a bench mounted power tool that I have. It's a toggle switch. I needed something that had a ground connector.

I figured out how to connect things up and everything is working fine! However, this switch has six connection points on it.

I'm wondering why...

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 02:48 AM

So, it's a DPDT or Double pole Double Throw / ON-none-ON switch.

If I used (ON) that would indicate momentary. If I used ON-OFF-ON, that would indicate center off. So, that's basically how you describe the action of a toggles switch.

Now, I have seen switches with 4 terminals, although it's extremely rare. Someone really has to have the volume to support using a little less metal in it. Besides, now people want to reduce inventory, so why stock one with 4 terminals.

In DC applications, this could act as a reversing switch if you cross the end terminals and attach 4 wires; 2 to the center and 2 to one of the ends. If you connected a 9 V battery to say the middle terminals, the polarity would switch based on the position of the switch if you measured the voltage on the other two wires.

This same DPDT arrangement is used on PSC (Permanent Split Capacitor) motors like those used on ceiling fans to reverse the direction of rotation. You reverse the magnetic field on one of the two windings.
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 02:52 AM
    Hi, KISS!

You're over my head here! Is this swtch okay to use with my bench grinder? I purchased it to replace another really old switch that I had used to replace the original switch on the grinder.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 02:58 AM

Yep, as long as the voltage and current ratings are appropriate for the motor horsepower.

If you use it a lot, I would get a horsepower rated switch.
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 03:15 AM
    Where would a person get a horse power rated switch, please!

I got the present switch at Menards. Might that not be what I purchased?

Like I said previously, in my other thread, I did use it for several hours, tonight.

I'm looking for education here. Don't know all of the correct terms to use nor things to say.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 03:26 AM

Heavy Duty

The 73185 (this will have 2 terminals) or the 73120 (this will have 4 terminals). The first is rated for 3/4 HP and the second for 1-1//2 HP, so the latter is the better switch.

The ratings are usually marked on the switch.

You can get HP rated switches that look like a standard house on/off wall switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Square D pressure switch wiring melting points. [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am having problems with my well this week and right now have no water at all. I saw earlier in the week that the old pressure switch contacts were in very bad shape so I cleaned them but a day later it quit working. I bought a new switch this morning and put it in after about 10...

Toggle switch won't move to on position [ 11 Answers ]

If a machine stops working by its self because it is overloaded the toggle switch has moved its self in the mid position I can get it to move to the on position it basically tripped the breaker how to I put it back on the on position

Switch (SPST) connection help. [ 6 Answers ]

I hope I'm in the right place for this question. This may be such an easy one but my internet search for an answer turned up nothing. I'm simply replaceing a broken switch on a Tripp-lite AC power line conditioner. Tripp-lite offers no help regarding the inside electronics of their unit, model...

3-Way Light Switch Illuminated Toggle Question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: Here's my dilemma. I have an outdoor flood light that is outside of the garage and has both a 3-way switch in the garage and in the house. Since I put in those windowless garage doors, I can't see whether the flood light is on or off, and many a night someone leaves the light on all night....

Limit switch connection [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Dornbach furnace that has a honewell fan limit switch. I replaced the insert and had to un hook the wires going to the blower fan. The wires on the switch is red black and blue. I never un hooked the blue so it is OK. I also never un hooked the red at the front of the furnace. I have white...

View more questions Search