Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hwheat Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 07:13 AM
    1992 Rheem Powervent Gas Water Heater
    I have a Rheem gas water heater.

My heater has a hot surface ignitor. I don't think my ignitor has a flame sensor, but it may be incorporated. It is a round ignitor. White on the bottom with a black spiral heating element. It has 2 wires coming out of the bottom. It is white on top (looks like ceramic) - bonding the black spiral to the center post.

Ignitor kicks on - gas kicks on - gas lights - quickly goes out (can hear switch to shut off gas) - ignitor goes out - gas comes back on (can hear switch) - ignites and stays lit. It lights off the still hot ignitor.

I have to turn the power off and on to get it to light. It will light on the first try after turning it off then back on. However, I have to reset it every day. Sometime during the day, the ignition fails. When I check the heater, the fan is running.

I have recently replaced the hot surface ignitor. Could it be that I don't have it close enough to the burner? When the flame lights it covers at least half of the ignitor. The ignitor glows red while the burner is in operation.

Is something wrong? Do I need to work on it?

Gas kicks off after first light. Then kicks back on and stays lit.

Have to power off then back on to get it to light afterwards.

Any ideas? No flame sensor on schematic.

I hope this helps someone else with this problem. I finally fixed the problem myself. I called Rheem and they gave me some trouble shooting tips. Check the vacuum switch - which was fine. If not vacuum switch, likely the controller.

I actually replaced the controller and the problem went away for a few days then came back.

After exhaustive troubleshooting, I found a slightly open male terminal on the lead from the 24V transformer that connects to the gas valve. I was getting 24 volts, but the valve was not working. I reduced the gap with a pair of needle nose pliers and the problem is fixed.

I reinstalled the original controller and found that it was actually faulty. It would provide 24 volts for about 1 second then go to zero. So - I had two issues.

Again - I hope this helps someone else.

Check out some similar questions!

Rheem Hot Water heater lockout [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have a Rheem Power Vent hot water heater, model PVW50-36FV, I was painting in the basement with little ventilation. The far right and left LED lights indicate the FV sensor detected the presence of flammable vapors. The unit is shut down and in lockout mode. How do I unlock this unit? Any...

Rheem water heater, fire goes out [ 1 Answers ]

Rheem 40gal. 12yrs old ,evac. Sys, fire comes on for few sec. then goes out Thanks

Rheem water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I have 50 Gallon Rheem gas water heater that has a igniter button. The water heater will not light when pushing the igniter button. The gas line is open. The tank is only 3 years old and was winterized before we moved in. Do anyone know how to light or bypass the igniter button to light this tank?...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.