Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chief dave Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 02:05 PM
    Cast iron problem
    Problem-- mortar, thin set and/ or grout got poured in tub drain on 4th floor and hardened.
    Can not get material to break free. Went into ceiling on 3rd floor and found 1 1/2"
    Pipe going to tub with cast iron pipe going into chase. WHAT IS EASIEST WAY TO REMOVE P-TRAP
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 31, 2006, 05:07 PM
    Hey Dave,

You didn't say so I'm assuming that the "P" trap's cast iron. If this were my call I would take a Saws-All with a metal blade and cut the trap out. Then I would convert to PVC using a No-Hub Band,(see image) and connect a PVC trap to the tub using a compression fitting on the trap raiser. Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast Iron Pipe Joints problem [ 12 Answers ]

I'm trying to remove a 4" bronce/copper(?) pipe from a cast iron hub. The joint appears to be solded with lead. I heated the joint with a hand held gas torch expecting to losing up the lead but it did not make a dent on it. I have opted for hammering the pipe out but it is showing harder that I...

Cast Iron movement [ 8 Answers ]

My son and I have decided to build out a bathroom in our basement. With some advice of others we're doing pretty good but now we've gotten to fitting the toilet and shower drains to what our design it. All along we thought we had PVC drains but they turn out to be Cast Iron. Both have a pipe...

Cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, What is the best way to repair a leaking tub drain that connects to cast iron main drain? Thank you, Jen

Cast Iron Pipes [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to clear cast iron drain pipes as a step towards making future preventive maintenance cost effective and less labor intense? Is there a preferred cutter to use on a rooter machine that could accomplish this? Is there chemicals that are safe to use that can assist the process. I...

Cast Iron Bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new cast iron tub to install in an alcove. The tub has feet hidden behind the apron to support the tub. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the easiest way of installation in the alcove?:confused:

View more questions Search