Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wendidly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 11:04 AM
    Cold water feeding back into cold water stoarage tank
    Can someone please help me and my plumber who also appears flummixed by my problem My ocld water storage tank is overflowing - OK you say - fix the overflow Done it Problem seems to be that the water is feeding back in to the tank Plumber says it not my coil in the cylinder and I have new mixer taps so not them Any ideas out there?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 21, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Please explain your set up. Combi boiler?
    coil in the cylinder
    Does that translate back into US talk as as a element in a water heater? New mixer taps on what?
    Just off the top of my head, and without any hard knowledge of what you have, the first place I would check is the pipe that's feeding water back into the tank. Does it have a check valve? Is this the cold water supply that's running the tank over. Does this tank supply water to more then one unit?
    Help me out here! I'm flying blind! Regards, Tom
    Wendidly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Sorry Tom I will try to be clearer There are two gravity feeds coming off cold water storage tank One feeds two indirect cylinders which are joined with inch pipe work Both cylinders are in tandem This feed has warm water coming back up to the cold water storage tank If I close the gate valve then water comes out of one of the two vents to the tank The coils appear fine as no signs of water level increasing in lower header tank to heating There is only one mixer tap which is not passing cold water to hot side and showers are electric showers Is this of any help?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 21, 2009, 12:55 PM
    Let's work on our terms. When water's entering a storage tank through a supply it's called a "feed" This pipe fills the tank.
    When water leaves the storage tank it leaves through a drain or discharge line. It may feed another tank but in the storage tank it's a drain or discharge line.
    A vent is a pipe to the air that has no water in it. They provide air so air lock doesn't occur. Is the vent pipe the pipe water backs up out of? Sorry to be so picky about terms but mistakes are made when we're not on the same page. Would you care to repost? Thanks, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water venting into cold water tank [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I posted my query here a while back but unfortunately it appears to have been left to fester :confused: (query was hot water from cold water tap). After a couple more visits by a plumber, his view is that the hot water tank is overheating, venting hot water into the cold water tank at the...

Bathroom water pressure vey poor from cold water storage tank [ 1 Answers ]

Bathroom toilet is very slow to fill up also cold water tap in bathroom when turned on has little or no water coming out of it.can you reply staight away please.

Cold water tank [ 7 Answers ]

I have to replace the air pressure in the cold water tank that I have drained from the system until I heard all the water and air leave. I just need to know how much pressure I need to put back in before I flip the breaker switch which makes the pump refill the tank. I can not stand the constant...

Cold water tank full of hot water [ 3 Answers ]

All the cold taps upstairs and the toilet are now running hot. Cold water tank in the loft is full of hot water! Help!

Cold Water Tank [ 1 Answers ]

Help! The ball-valve on my cold water tank never completely closes, so water is constantly running into the tank. The tank should logically overflow because the water does not stop completely, but it doesn't. I have replaced the ball valve and the problem still exists. Turns out the cold...

View more questions Search