Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    air1force1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 09:13 AM
    Chlorine, and bladder tanks
    I'm currently injecting chlorine into my well water supply to help with sulpher. It has proven to be very helrpful in making the water a better quality. The down side is the fact chlorine is hard on the bladder in my pressure tank.
    I replaced the tank approximatly one year after adding the chlorine, and moved the injection site to after, and above the bladder tank. One year later it failed again!
    Do I need to put a "U" in the pipe after the bladder tank, to keep the chlorine from migrating back to the tank? The present configuration has the injection site 1.5 feet above the bladder tank, and a total of 2 feet away. I need to replace the tank right away, but would like to get more life out of it. Just need some professional advice. Thanks in advance.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2009, 07:17 PM

This may have some info that you can use.

http://www.scgov.net/EnvironmentalSe...ion_Flyer2.pdf
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 23, 2009, 04:08 AM
    This article says it's OK to run bleach through your system.
    The simplest and most effective product for disinfecting all parts of your water system is plain chlorine bleach with no additives. Whenever the pump is primed, chlorinated water should be used. With proper precautions, chlorine solutions are safe and easy to use. After disinfection, the chlorinated water should be flushed from your well and plumbing system. The chlorinated water should not be discharged directly into your septic system. An outside faucet and hose should be used to discharge the chlorine solution to a location away from lawns and gardens. Good luck, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 08:49 AM

If you want to prevent backflow, you can install a checkvalve between the injection point and the tank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Balancing two bladder type water pressure tanks [ 11 Answers ]

Former owners installed two 85 gal pressure tanks. However, only one tank seems to be filling. The pressure switch is a 30-50 set at about 32-42. The tanks are new bladder type and are pressurized to 30 psi each. They are connect in series with the water line connecting to one end of the...

PH and chlorine [ 4 Answers ]

Does a high concentration of chlorine lower the pH? How about 200 ppm of chlorine?

Bladder tanks [ 2 Answers ]

How do you know if your bladder tank is bad. My pump cycles a lot and I loose pressure quickly until my pump kicks back on.

Bladder tanks [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering how much pressure should be in a bladder tank? :rolleyes:

PH of chlorine gas [ 1 Answers ]

What is the pH of chlorine gas?

View more questions Search