Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hlat Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Sep 18, 2009, 01:51 PM
    Does is matter which hot water heater I buy to get mazimize hot water pressure?
    Need advice in choosing new hot water heater to maximize hot water pressure. Plumber installed new intake/&out copper pipes, new coldwater cut off valve, new line to humidifer, correctly switched hot and cold lines to water heater, flushed - and still hot water pressure is low all over the house. We decided to get a new water heater in hopes of solving hot water pressure problem. Old water heater is 19 years old, 65 gallons, natural gas and was made by American. What should we look for - what to avoid - to maximize hot water pressure??
    Plumber put in 6 elbows in hot water outlet to reach main pipe - would all these turns reduce pressure??
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 18, 2009, 02:03 PM

The only way a water heater can affect the water pressure is if there is so much sediment or mineral deposits in the bottom that the dip tube is clogged. Pressure coming out of the heater is determined by the pressure going into the heater. If you plumber went around replacing a bunch of pipe and valves without knowing something was defective, get a new plumber.

Was the water heater flushed? Should have been the first thing done.

See this post for my opinion about water heaters.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...ns-394379.html
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Sep 18, 2009, 02:03 PM

Water does not compress so if you have good cold water pressure you should have good hot water pressure unless there is something obstructing the flow. It sounds like you've gone through most of the system. You are suspecting a failure in the water heater.

Yes, elbows will reduce flow. So will corrosion in pipes, not usually a big problem if it's all copper. Is there any steel pipe anywhere in the system?

Make sure any valves leading to the hot water heater and each tap are fully open.

It shouldn't matter which brand water heater you put in. There are really only a couple of manufacturers out there.

There are tax credits for higher efficiency units, over 90%. Look for an Energy Star rated appliance.

Hope that helps.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 18, 2009, 02:06 PM
    Hi Hlat:

The choice of your water heater will NOT determine pressure in this situation, ;)

With what you have described, it sounds like there is no reason for the cold water supply into the heater to be the issue, so it may be reasonable to guess that the cold water inlet or the hot water outlet to the heater may have been damaged during instalation 19 years ago... maybe?

ANyway, purchase the new heater and be sure that the plumber does NOT apply heat to the inlet/outlet of the new water heater. In other words, all fittings that touch the new heater should be screwed fittings that get PRESOLDERED and cooled before applying to the threaded nipples of the new heater.

If water pressure is still low with the new piping, the new shutoff and the new water heater with nipples undamaged then you will need to start to look at shutoffs AFTER the water heater... may be that these are getting clogged.

Let me know if you want to discuss more...

MARK
    hlat Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Sep 18, 2009, 06:35 PM

Thanks, to all; this is my plan: Get a new water heater, replace the elbowed pipes with straight 3/4" copper, (now has 1/2" in/out take) cool any soldering before applying, only screw fittings will touch the tank, install full port ball cold water cut off valve, have plumber check pressure of cold water intake before final installation.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 19, 2009, 05:01 AM
    I'm amazed that someone hasn't asked what the incoming house pressure is?
    That would have been my first question. My next question would have been,
    " Do you flush your heater out on a regular maintenance schedual?" and if the answer was no I'd start checking the hot water inlet ports in the faucet cartridges. Ya-all are focusing on the heater end of things and overlooking the terminal end of the line.
    Let's isolate the problem. Shut off the cold water to the heater and bleed off the pressure by opening a hot water faucet. Now go to the farthest fixture and disconnect the hot water angle stop under the vanity. Hold a bucket under the open pipe and have someone turn the watrer on to the heater. If you get a strong stream out of the open pipe the problem's clogged faucet cartridges, if the stream's weak then I would go back to the heater and check for heat trap nipples and go from there. But first I'd want to know how much pressure was entering the house.
    There are a lot of questions unanswered here. Regards, Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 05:52 AM

Well, I would like to know if the plumber open a hot an cold valve to see if there was any significant difference in volume and pressure before he did his work. Maybe he did. If he did , did he check again after he did his work? Maybe he did, after he got his check.
    Note that hlat says "correctly switched hot and cold lines". On a 19 year old water heater? It's been wrong for 19 years? Also note that lines are 1/2" hot and cold. Don't know how many taps.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 05:55 AM
    Hi all:

I guess I assummed that the cold water pressure was fine or hlat would have asked about hot and cold water pressure... ;)

Seems to me that by all information given this issue is isolated to hot water only. Maybe Hlat will pop back and let us know more...

MARK
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 19, 2009, 06:22 AM
    Mark,
    You're probably correct but I've learned, over the years, not to "assume" anything.
    When I go into a problem I like to enter with as much information as I can get.
    If there's a hot water pressure problem then I'd like to know what pressure I'm starting with. Both going into the heater and coming out of it. If I have good pressure going in and lousy pressure coming out then I focus on the heater. If the pressure's good coming out I focus on the piping. If I can get good pressure out of the angle stops I go for the faucet cartridges. And that's the way I isolate a hot water pressure problem.
    Hey! I'm open to criticisms and corrections on my method. If you-all have a better way I want to know about it. Regards to all, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Water Heater problems, no water flow after pressure valve change [ 4 Answers ]

I changed my pressure release valve, now I can not hot water flw in my house.

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Does water pressure matter? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there! I have just recently installed a low pressure showerhead. The water that came out before was literally shooting out of the old showerhead, even when I turn on the water at the bottom first it just bursts out of the pipe. I am really serious about this. The water coming out of the...

Reduced water pressure after installation of new water heater (entire house) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, We just had a new water heater installed yesterday and the water pressure seems to be reduced (probably 85-90%) of the prior level, through out the entire house. Our old water heater started to leak yesterday AM, had the new one installed that afternoon (40 gallon, 9 year wty, gas: GE...

View more questions Search